Hot, hotter, hottest

Page 1 of 2

As odd as it sounds, I'm replacing the compressor in a window shaker. Find out that mapp gas isn't hot enough to flow silvabraze with 1% silver. Ah, well. Cheap stuff. Finally after carbonizing the heck out of the tubing. I got out my acetylene torch with the air turbo tip. That did the job. Made the copper glow, and the stick braze flow.
Someday I'll have to buy another pack of the 15% silver stuff. That flowed a lot better with mapp. The Johnstone catalog says it's the same melting point, but that's not my experience.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Quit trying to cheap out.... do it right. flow N2, use ocy-actylene, and 15% Silphos, or 45% silver with flux. It will make your life a lot easier.

    NOTHING will make his life easier.
www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
It would take several years to recover the cost of the oxy rig, the nitrogen tank, regulators, etc. If I had a bit higher sales volume, it would be worth it.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Your not charging near enough. One simple repair job should pay for both the oxy-acetylene rig.
On 9/14/2010 7:20 AM, Steve wrote:

Pawn shops are full of them. I've seen all sorts of HVAC tools in them. I bought my last leak detector at a pawn shop. They didn't know what it was. Some years ago, I paid $40 for a 3M fiber optic power level meter in perfect condition. It was current production at the time and priced a $1050.00 at the supply house.
TDD

20 years ago I bought a Craftsman skillsaw from a pawn shop for $15....I am still using it today.

127 years ago I bought a ... oh, nevermind.
www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
I've done that kind of thing. About 30 years ago, I bought that acetylene torch that I've been using for brazing. Paid entire $15 for it, but I was still in high school then. That was real money, back then.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

On 9/14/2010 10:49 AM, Grumpy wrote:

Only one problem, you can't sell your wealth of knowledge. 8-)
TDD
He could answer phone call questions. My last boss is always willing to chat about things.
I had a cooler driving me nuts a couple weeks ago. Leer ice merchandiser. When I got there, it would be fine. Nice and cold. The store owner and also my contact at the company both told me the ice was melting. But it wasn't happening when I was there. Behaved like the condensor was dirty. But, I'd cleaned it with compressed air, water, coil cleaner, etc. Finally, I tried something else, and then think I've figured out the problem.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Well said
On 9/14/2010 8:11 PM, Grumpy wrote:

I've spent about four decades since college building my knowledge base and I don't think I could even remember enough of it to write it all down. I have no children (that I know of) to pass it on to so I'll just have to share it with my friends. 8-)
TDD
I've seen a couple of books on refrigeration, and repair. It would be good if a couple techs with real world experience would work together, and write a manual for real repair techs.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Its been done dumb ass. If you had paid any attention you would know that. But you didn't, so you don't. Which is why you're still trying to figure out simple brazing techniques.

    It would be great if you learned to read, too.
    My very first week in HVAC, as a new helper, my first request of the boss was 'Can you advance me the money for some books ( Modern AC by Turnquist, Man J & D, Copeland Bluebook set, etc etc ) so I can be studying this at home ? I can't afford them right now, but I'll pay for them over a few weeks or months if you let me get started now'.
    To this day, 25 + years later, they are on the shelf within arm's reach behind me ( with many MANY others on various topics, be it HVAC or programming etc etc ), dog-eared but fully serviceable.
    Try it some time. It's called by various names, like 'work', and 'effort', and 'learning', and 'being responsible for yourself', etc.
www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 10:06:35 -0500, "Oscar_Lives"

    More likely a complete bounce.
www.theanimalrescuesite.com/