Homemoaner and the cost of freon

Page 3 of 9

How long were they there?

Just one guy. About 1.5 maybe 2 hours at the most. It was awhile back. I really don't remember.
I'm getting my a/c serviced in February and I'm not calling Christian Brothers. If it needs another 4lbs of Freon I'm getting a new one instead.
Olddog

It's going to need 12 pounds and a thermostat this time you fucktard.
I am the real ftwhd and I approve this message.

We charge 15 a lb for 22, 65 truck charge and 85 and hour port to port. Hopefully he fixed the leak?

You're so stupid... the guy was there for 1.5 - 2 hours, yet after you ok'd the repair it only took him 15 mins? Yeah, right!
Quote from another post of yours...
After I gave him the ok he had it done in less than 15 min.
End Quote
If he's that incompetent to take over an hour to realize that a system is 4.5 lbs low, it sure as hell took him longer than 15 mins to finish the job!

instead.
ok'd
job!
Feeding liquid like that helps to clean the compressor valves..

It was quite awhile ago but it must of been less than an hour. I'm not saying he was incompetent but from what others have said he didn't do a very good job of analysis. The a/c works fine now but I'm getting another inspection in February. Like I said; if it's significantly down on Freon I'm probably going to get a new system. He's probably right about the inside coils leaking because it's very common for my particular model. I've had a couple other HVAC professionals verify that.
I sure would like to get a few more years out of this one but not enough to spend $1200 on it.
Olddog

back.
is
very
You'll never know unless you compare readings to the charts, post the readings

So be it if you really want new but an inside coil changeout isnt really all that complicated pump to the condensor close the other valve and swap..evac and re-open Alpine probly has an exact coil match have him add a txv and your as good as new.
Also don't let speculation about how much -22 is goina cost in several years scare you off hell you might get hit by a bus too.

$1200 is really cheap... does that include new filter/dryers? refrigerant? vaccum to 400 microns? warranty?

I'm not sure. I'm learning along the way. I'll ask though. Thanks. The guy from Airco gave me an off the cuff estimate. I'll ask when they come out in February.

Leaking system, and you're going to reuse the existing refrigerant??? Even after installing a *new* evap???
That's not a smart practice!

It shouldn't hurt *IF* the refrigerant level didn't get low enough to pull the suction side below ambient pressure, *AND* there is a filter/drier installed. Otherwise, best to recover the entire refrigerant charge, replace the evap, install a new filter/drier (flow N2 while brazing), vacuum the system down to 400 microns, re-charge with virgin refrigerant, and balance the charge with subcooling and superheat. No it can't be done in an hour.... to do the job right, its going to take an average of 4 hours.

Still not a good practice... 4.5 lbs low... I bet it's was running in a vacuum. New evap... not going to chance a warranty call over it leaking due to internal corrosion.

time
you
system
Freon
Obviously no need to add /replace filter dryer do I have to explain every minute detail ?

Curious what makes you think this--it was never left open...and there was no mention of it displaying symptoms of moisture in nor was there any sign indicating probable contamination with other refrigerant.

Or the posibility of the LP side going below ambient pressure and putting moisture, air, and non condensibles into the system??? It doesn't have to be left open to do this..... and what makes you thing that the system had a proper vacuum pulled on it when it was commissioned in the first place?? How do we know that it wasn't installed by the lowest bidder??
Remove all doubt and do it right.....or does that make too much sense??

Yeah, only the highest bidder pulls a proper vacuum. :)
Ambient pressure.... lol
FYI a system doesn't have to go into a vacuum to draw in moisture.

Anyone that's sat through a 410 class should know this...

I learned it in tech school.

Nope--I'm making a statistical prediction based upon the *absence* of symptoms.

Yeah since it's just so damned easy to confuse "Low on refrigerant" and "moisture in system" after all, both conditions will produce exactly the same readings...

Do try and keep up, according to the OP his system uses R22 where the oil isn't nearly as hygroscopic as with 410 you see.

Conversely, if the customer wouldnt buy a completely new system and doesn't even want the old refrigerant replaced with new then JUST FREAKING WALK AWAY and let the cheap bastard find himself a different tech.

Venturi effect works on all refrigerants... try and learn something new. Using old refrigerant is just plain ignorant in so many ways (on a known leaking system). Maybe you should go back to school and learn something.