Homemoaner and the cost of freon

You just keep getting further and further from the Truth.

Reply to
KJPRO

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks."

Olddog

Reply to
olddog

Asking the gentleman what he thinks is a fair price. Market research. So, a gentleman thinks this or that is reasonable. Chance to learn.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Me knows, you're an Asshole!

Reply to
KJPRO

LOL

I was going to write something but "discretion is the better part of valor."

I try not to delve into character assassination.

Touché

Olddog

Reply to
olddog

Feeding liquid like that helps to clean the compressor valves..

Reply to
Bipolar Bear

It was quite awhile ago but it must of been less than an hour. I'm not saying he was incompetent but from what others have said he didn't do a very good job of analysis. The a/c works fine now but I'm getting another inspection in February. Like I said; if it's significantly down on Freon I'm probably going to get a new system. He's probably right about the inside coils leaking because it's very common for my particular model. I've had a couple other HVAC professionals verify that.

I sure would like to get a few more years out of this one but not enough to spend $1200 on it.

Olddog

Reply to
olddog

Thanks I will...I did get a quote up front but I trusted the guy was being upfront with me. He probably was. It sounds like it's pretty common practice to "make-up" on some other costs with Freon. It wasn't until later I found out he could buy about 60lbs for what he charged me. It's all good. I learned a lesson. After looking at the bill again I don't think it was as bad as I remember it.

Olddog

Reply to
olddog

Welcome but still he should of checked for leaks or at the very least should have told you that next time you call be sure to request that the teck brings along leak detection tools.

As such, I would suggest you fire the outfit.

Reply to
Bipolar Bear

You'll never know unless you compare readings to the charts, post the readings

So be it if you really want new but an inside coil changeout isnt really all that complicated pump to the condensor close the other valve and swap..evac and re-open Alpine probly has an exact coil match have him add a txv and your as good as new.

Also don't let speculation about how much -22 is goina cost in several years scare you off hell you might get hit by a bus too.

Reply to
Bipolar Bear

Didn't I explain that in January 2010 that the manufacture and importing of R22 is being reduced by an additional 75%?? This supply and demand thing.... I don't know..... cut back the supply by 75%, and of course the price is going to go up...... the wholesale price goes up which forces the retail prices to go up. Here's a news flash.... HVAC is a retail business. There is cause and effect. olddog needs to learn some new tricks.

Reply to
Steve

$1200 is really cheap... does that include new filter/dryers? refrigerant? vaccum to 400 microns? warranty?

Reply to
Steve

Chance to learn?? Go take some business courses so you can figure out how to charge enough, then hit the votech and learn how to work on HVAC equipment so you won't hurt yourself or somebody else.

Reply to
Steve

I'm not sure. I'm learning along the way. I'll ask though. Thanks. The guy from Airco gave me an off the cuff estimate. I'll ask when they come out in February.

Reply to
olddog

Isn't it wonderful how people [who don't own or run a business] stand around and tell YOU what's reasonable to charge so you can stay in business? With such wonderful advice, I wonder what I would have done without it.? I've been in business for over 22 years now, and, I'm just happy as crap that you can straighten me out on how to run my business.

Reply to
Zyp

LOL

Reply to
Zyp

I figure that he is just another EE with nothing better to do. He sure as hell is not a business major. OTOH, with all of the contractors that *DO* use his methods of charging, its no wonder that 19,000 HVAC contractors go broke and out of business every year.....because they didn't charge enough.

Reply to
Steve

I actually do have a BBA from The University of New Mexico Graduated 1983 with a 3.8 GPA. But I don't need that to know when I'm being screwed.

You guy really are too much!

LOL

Olddog

Reply to
olddog

You may not be taking into account: The compressor is really loud, the vent motor on the furnace is going out (another $200+ repair if I do it myself), and the probablity it is an inside coil leak is very high. I will get the guy to check where the leak is though and get an estimate on repair. I think I've learned at least that much here. ;-) The guy from Airco (the mechanical engineer) actually suggested I get it repaired. Pretty honest guy. He said I got screwed on the price of R22 too.

Olddog

Reply to
olddog

I really think YOU are too much, actually. You have no f-ing clue. If you did, you'd STFU.... I think you're so full of BS it's pouring out of your eyeballs....

Now, where did I put those waders, cause this room is filling fast....

Reply to
Zyp