Homemoaner and the cost of freon

Page 1 of 9
I was talking with a mechanical engineer from Airco about the time Christian Brothers charged me $375 for 4.5 lbs of Freon.
The guy from Airco said that HVAC service companies tell the techs to find a charge for over $300 or $400 no matter what they do to justify the time on the job. Christian Brothers charged me $455 for the service charge and the Freon.
Olddog aka Homemoaner

So, are you assuming *all* HVAC companies are the same? I sure hope not!

Thats not too far off the mark. Even in rural south Mississippi I get $363 for the service call and 4.5lbs of R-22

How long is the service call.

Don't forget travel time.

Well obviously grossly marking up Freon is common.
http://www.koolit.net/prod_list.php?sci=3
Christian Bros. has the right to charge what ever they want but I'm a potential long term customer that is going to need a new system very soon. Do you think it's a good idea to charge me that much?
I'm in the city limits and Christian Bros. is local.
Olddog

Doesn't matter. I pull my prices straight out of my flat rate price book, and yes the labor is included in the book price. If you want a discount, then you buy a service agreement.
want but I'm a

Fuck you, I'd charge you triple just because you're a whiny little ba-atch!
I am the real ftwhd and I approve this message.

No! I think they should have done it for nothing! This way they can go bankrupt and no longer give you quality service. What in the hell are they thinking!?!?!

Then everyone I've talked to (hvac professionals) with regards to the 1600% markup is crazy. It's just standard business practice?
Interesting
Thanks guys.
Olddog

It's interesting how you're trying to confuse facts with reality.
There's different ways to price products and services. No two companies operate the same way. There's also the fact that MANY companies don't price their service correctly and run themselves right out of business. A fact that MANY people operate their business in different ways. Loss leaders, selling equipment instead of making a repair, etc, etc...
You have to make money, period. Or you simply go under and are no longer in business. That's a fact that you can't get around. Now there are companies that subsidies their operations everyday. That doesn't mean that the service you received was over priced. It just mean you didn't find one and are now pissed that you paid $455 for a repair. I assume you approved the repair? If it was so EXPENSIVE, why didn't you pay the service call and get a second opinion?
If you want to take your little $455 repair as a complete lesson on how to run a business, so be it. I on the other hand have the knowledge, skills, experience and understanding that it takes to know how to run a profitable company. But if you want a CHEAPER price on your next repair/installation, I suggest you call GM/Ford/Chrysler... they will be able to met your needs, at a price you can afford and make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Then we can wait for the next Federal bailout plan for the automotive industry.
Get a clue!

heh
In reality I paid $225. $65 service charge and the rest fo r-22.
Olddog

techs
get
that
one
approved
skills,
profitable
repair/installation,
Next time make sure and get quote per lb up front and tell them the tech needs to a leak detector some new valves and a shrader replacement tool.

Thanks I will...I did get a quote up front but I trusted the guy was being upfront with me. He probably was. It sounds like it's pretty common practice to "make-up" on some other costs with Freon. It wasn't until later I found out he could buy about 60lbs for what he charged me. It's all good. I learned a lesson. After looking at the bill again I don't think it was as bad as I remember it.
Olddog

justify
I'm
very
service.
the
companies
business.
find
call
how
practice
Welcome but still he should of checked for leaks or at the very least should have told you that next time you call be sure to request that the teck brings along leak detection tools.
As such, I would suggest you fire the outfit.

Then you lied... simple as that!
Quote your first post
I was talking with a mechanical engineer from Airco about the time Christian Brothers charged me $375 for 4.5 lbs of Freon.
The guy from Airco said that HVAC service companies tell the techs to find a charge for over $300 or $400 no matter what they do to justify the time on the job. Christian Brothers charged me $455 for the service charge and the Freon.
Olddog aka Homemoaner
End quote
Quote another post
Then everyone I've talked to (hvac professionals) with regards to the 1600% markup is crazy. It's just standard business practice?
Interesting
Thanks guys.
Olddog
End Quote
=============== One post you paid $375 for refrigerant. Same post says you paid a total of $455 for service charge and refrigerant. (375 + 80 = 455)
Then you get on a kick for having a 1600% markup on refrigerant.
Now you paid $65 for a service call, 225, plus refrigerant? (455-65-225 165 for refrigerant)
I know it must be hard for you, but try and keep YOUR facts straight.
Service fee is either 80 or 65, simple as that. Refrigerant charge is either 375 or 165, simple as that. For refrigerant to have a 1600% markup at 165/4.5 lbs it'd have to cost 2.29/lb. Ill buy all you have for that price, as it's been more than that for quiet some time now! Even at 375/4.5 lbs it'd have a cost of 5.20/lb.
You're not facing reality by no means!

You'll get over it.

So will you
*click*

Just more proof that you're an Asshole.

Wait a while.... by summer of 2010, the price of R22 is gonna be $150/lb then he'll look back and wonder how he got by so cheap.