Home Air Filter change frequency

When a home air filter manufacturer recommends a filter change every 90 days, what duty cycle do they assume the filter wil be used? 1 hour per day? 10 hours per day? 24 hours per day?
I think they should list filter change recommendations in hours (e.g. filter good for 300 hours of use). (Some thermostats like my LUX have filter-life counters that show the number of hours the filter was used since it was last changed).

What makes the run hours any different then days, it's still going to depend on the environment. (clean/dirty home, pets, return location, etc)

You need to change it every 90 days, unless it needs to be changed sooner, or operating conditions result in you being able to change it less frequently.

You should be able to call LUX and ask them how many hours you can go between filter changes. After all, they put the hour meter in there, so they should be able to tell you how to use it. But then, they don't make filters, so their guess is as good as..... If they give any answer, and don't just hang up on you. At least one of the manuals they have online gives their theory as to how many hours = 90 days, and it's not any of the guesses that you've made. So, my first answer is likely to be the most correct answer.
If you don't like these answers, you'll need a new thermostat.
on 8/24/2007 3:41 PM snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com said the following:

How would the manufacturer of the filter know if you have a dirty house or a sanitary house, or whether you lived in the dry dusty deserts of Nevada or in a tropical region, like Florida.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Go to http://www.generalaire.com/accessories /
They have a Air Filter Gage that you can buy form your HVAC service company and have install it or just do it yourself.
--
Moe Jones
HVAC Service Technician

Art wrote:

Hey Farty it's LOSE their ability. The only thing loose is your (implied) brain because it is rattling...
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

THe AFI recommends every 3000 miles.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in

These ratings are (I'm guessing) the result of internal standards used by the manufacturer and are mainly designed to allow comparison between their products and for advertising (you are more likely to purchase a filter that needs changed less often, even if more expensive).
In practice (as the owner of t dogs, 4 cats and 2 kids) I find that every week the filter needs a good vacuuming and every month it needs replacing - irregardless of what the package says. Point is you need to determine what is normal for your situation and stick to that.
I purchase the higher quality filters that claim to reduce allergens. They are considerably more expensive (about 12 bucks) but do seem to reduce dust in the house. Ironically the 'better' filters would need changing more often.
Note that there are available reusable filters that you can hose off once a month.
You have to peek in to see.... if it's poopy, change it more often.
--

Christopher A. Young
(Using backup computer. In a couple