Home air conditioning not cooling well.

Wife called me, house temp 81* set at 78*, fan is running. I went outside, compressor and fan on condenser unit are running. I removed filters and temp dropped about 1/2 degree. I shut down the unit and cleaned filters, evaporator and everything else (about 6 yrs old). I started unit and went outside the compressor was running but the fan was not. I grabbed a stick and gave it a push, it started turning very slowly and picked up speed until it seemed at full speed. I removed the fan assembly and lubed both bushings of the motor, the motor was very hot, I could not handle it and had to get gloves to manipulate the motor. The motor did not seem to be very sticky regarding the bushings, ie. it did rotate a little after being spun. So now the house is cooling, BUT I suspect, when the unit shuts off and then has to restart, the fan motor MAY NOT start and this will cause the compressor to shut down, and the house will not cool again. I deciphered the schematic diagram and see that OFM is the Outdoor Fan Motor, and I also see it has a capacitor start circuit. The capacitor is a double section 45uf/5uf, the 5uf is in series with the fan motor start winding. I think I'll invest in a new capacitor.
Mikek
On 7/13/2016 5:55 PM, amdx wrote:

Update. While reinstalling a cover outside, the compressor started, BUT the fan didn't. I grabbed the stick and gave the blade a push, the fan started running. I decided to check a squirrel cage fan I have for the cap. The squirrel cage fan has 5uf cap, just what I need. I wired it in place of the existing 5uf cap and the fan started on the next cycle. I ordered a new cap on Amazon for $17.15, probably cheaper than the local HVAC parts house. Mikek
On 7/13/2016 7:40 PM, amdx wrote:

this on Facebook and Twitter, so we can all see.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 7/13/2016 6:55 PM, amdx wrote:

Your mother and I love you very much.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 7/14/2016 7:54 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Stormin, I'm a little surprised to have the response I got from you. Over the years, you have been the person to help out the homeowner, while others here just felt offended because a DIYer got the job done and with just some knowledge. They felt like Rodney Dangerfield, "got no respect, I tell ya, no respect". I forgive you, and the love flows both ways!
I got lucky when I happened to be present when the compressor started and the fan didn't. The fan had intermittent operation, ie. I did see it running while troubleshooting, but then it didn't start the next time. Another update, my HVAC tech brother-in-law stopped by and I told him what happened, he said he had a 45uf/5uf in his van, (by this time I had placed an Amazon order for a new cap at $17.15) he said the part is only $10. I paid him and installed the new capacitor. It is working fine. Do you agree that he can get the cap for $10? I don't want him to short change himself, and he would do that.
Mikek
On 7/14/2016 9:41 PM, amdx wrote:

What else do you say to a poster who doesn't ask any questions? Your post read like a facebook entry, except no selfie pictures.
I looked in one parts catalog. I very seldom share wholesale prices on this list, but he's low by about half.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 7/15/2016 8:24 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Ya, I guess I was just posting to rub it into the Rodney Dangerfields that won't help a homeowner. I did it myself Nah na nah na na nah. :-)

highway and I didn't think there would be much difference in price between Amazon and our local parts house wholesale price.
amdx wrote:

Good for you. You saved at least $250 on your capacitor replacement. We seem to have become a society where most aren't willing to learn how to do things for themselves. This week I learned how to replace a serpentine belt on my car. I replaced belts on my old cars, but I didn't understand how the (newer) belt-tensioner mechansim worked. Now I know... The week before I watched a video or two on how to replace a thermostat, "just for fun". A couple weeks before that I replaced the transmission in my lawnmower. It's a lifestyle.
On 7/15/2016 1:05 PM, Bill wrote:

The internet has so much information on a wide variety of repairs, it makes it an option to diy rather than call a professional. A friend recently had a part break on the shifter of his car. He did a search and found a video on youtube with his exact problem on his model car. The video even pointed out exactly where you were going to have difficulty, but if you just kept attempting the step the part would fall into place. The video showed a place to order the part over the internet. I inherited an air compressor from my dad, but it did not work. I already had an air compressor so it sat unrepaired for years. I had time and decided to repair it. I found an exploded view, but still was not able to make it work. It had a problem in the check valve area. I got help on a homeowner DIY group from someone that had the same problem. There are many groups with experienced people willing to help someone less experience get a repair performed. Unfortunately this group does not have a lot of people willing to help. I find that HVAC repair people on the internet as a whole are not willing to help out the DIYer. I have searched several times and have not found an HVAC group will to give info the DIYers. (I think it is because you need a superior intellect to understand HVAC) ;-) You can get auto repair info, home repair info, tool repair info, electronic equipment info, machine tool info, all kinds of hobby info, etc, but the HVAC group are tight lipped. And that is why I posted my "I did it myself" post, just to rub in the Rodney Dangerfield complex to the non helpers. But I'm thankful for Stormin, he has helped over the years.
Mikek
amdx wrote:

Yep, they/it taught me how to replace my garage door spring, and others.
Cheers, Bill
On 7/15/2016 1:48 PM, amdx wrote:

I can just hear the technicians crying and whining that a "mere" HO managed to do such a feat of excellence.
Mom says you look great, remember to eat.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 7/13/2016 6:55 PM, amdx wrote:

I shut down the

I grabbed a stick and gave it a push, it started turning very

The motor did not seem to be very sticky regarding

The capacitor is

I noticed no questions in your text. (statement)
Posting a question will lead to different type of replies. (statement)
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 7/15/2016 8:30 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

My info may help another DIYer that comes here looking for help when you're not here. Stormin, I've tried to get help here enough that I find it rare for anyone wanting to help a homeowner. I wouldn't have expected a lot of input if I did ask a question. But, I still have love for you! Mikek
On 7/15/2016 1:48 PM, amdx wrote:

Will agree with that. Not much help to be had, here. The alt home repair list can be more assistance. Though, some people will bash me on the head and disagree with that.
--
.
Christopher A. Young