Home ac having problems - freon doesn't seem to be circulating

Page 3 of 4

In the R-12 run up, the price went up for a few years. Eventually, the replacement blends come out on the market. And then the equipment starts to die off. As the equipment dies off, the demand goes down, and that affects the market and pricing. There is still R-12 equipment out there. I know, I service them.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
The King wrote:

The latest word I have on R22 is that this year only 20% of what we normally use will be available. The large producing companies are indicating that the price will skyrocket and that it would be a good idea to purchase large quantities in advance. I suspect the companies are trying to create a shortage to drive prices up. Also it turns out that R134A is being scheduled for a phaseout in the future also. R410 and a few others are also to be replaced. It was stated that Carrier already has a replacement in their research facility. The socalled replacements will consist of HFO's and CO2. This information is merely being repeated and the source is a Johnstone Supply Training person.

    Welcome to the future of the cooling industry, after Brobama gets done 'reinventing America' for us.
http://tinyurl.com/ldjb2o
On the bright side, at least it's a 'green' job .....
www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
On Wed, 07 Apr 2010 19:58:56 -0400, .p.jm.@see_my_sig_for_address.com wrote:

134 was always going to be an interim refrigerant long before Obama came along because its a greenhouse gas. The Europeans are phasing out its use in autos beginning next year and banning it all together by 2017. Its old news. They wont be happy til were back to using ice.

The King wrote:

I recover every ounce of refrigerant I can. If it's not contaminated, I'm going to reuse it. Somewhere I have a 124 lb R22 recovery cylinder. I take a little whiff and if it doesn't burn the hair out of my nose, a good set of filters and some Acid Away makes it usable.
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

Why don't you just plastic bag it and sell it to your neighbors kids? The world has a scarcity of whoofers. If they whoof it, it won't damage the ozone and everybody wins. Won't have to buy carbon certs for it either.
Alexander wrote:

I think they're called "huffers" and most of them get off on "toluene" which is in the paint that they huff. When the refrigerant in a system gets burned, it takes on a horrible searing odor that is what was used during WWI as a chemical weapon, phosgene gas, better known as mustard gas. If you start brazing connections on a refrigeration system that has not had the refrigerant completely removed, you will get a very unpleasant whiff of phosgene gas. Some people get off on huffing Freon but it can be very deadly. The HVAC supply housed have been selling special locking caps for refrigerant service valves that may help stop people from easily getting refrigerant from outdoor equipment.
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

Your customer will balk at the price of Schrader locks. As for the problem of internal contamination in the system from brazing, will that is why the manufacturers and professional practices require nitrogen purging. The oxygen deprivation from inhaling a cloud of cooling gases has long been a problem. But whoofers cherish the synaptic cross firing created by dying oxygen deprived braincells. One of the most dangerous of these gases is R410, as it hangs on the ground and legislation is being enacted to insure all equipment rooms using this gas has an alarm system and automatic venting. As for the huffers... I will leave that to others. I deeply suspect something of that nature is infecting the political atmosphere in Washington DC.

    Just read the Huffington post and you'll know it's true :-)
www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Alexander wrote:

Geez! Who can keep up with the sub-nomenclature that describes all the different addictive behaviors of those who are trying new and creative ways to kill themselves. Years ago, I worked with a guy installing the control and power systems for the first indoor cooling tower in this area. We also did the same for the screw compressors and one of the things I installed was a stationary refrigerant leak detection system. I believe R22 was the refrigerant being used. Enough of that stuff can displace the air in a room and send one to HVAC heaven. Where does an AC tech go when he dies if he is an evil man? Hmmmm, I'll have to think about that one.
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

He is reincarnated as Paul and creates a newgroup of his peers.. ;-p

I think that plan will be a good money maker.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
The King wrote:

Perhaps it should be a Union money maker?

Yeah, that's a factor I've been hearing, the efficiency is supposed to be a lot better on newer units.Of course, due to minimal usage, I've never had a power bill over about $130. That's in the dead of summer. Never running it, the bill's around $70. So at most it's costing me around $2/day to run.
The other consideration is this tax break that's currently available, and a modest credit from the power company.

Why tell me? The folks I do work for don't have the money to replace a system. BeeHO hasn't stimulated theirs or my bank account so folks call on me to repair what they have. It's called survival and making do with what you got. I had an old fellow call me one day to look at a Carrier he had bought back in the early 70's. It was the best and most expensive unit Carrier made for homes at that time. It has stainless steel hardware, factory sight glass, high and low pressure controls, anti short cycle timer and a temperature controlled two speed condenser fan. The condenser fan motor burned out and an HVAC company told him he needed a new system. I took a look at his old Rolls Royce of an AC and told him "Don't you dare get rid of this system!". I replaced the two speed condenser fan motor and the system goes into low speed mode at night and thanks to an insulating blanket over the compressor, it barely makes a sound in quiet mode. His neighbors all around him have newer AC units that sound like airplanes taking off. The repair bill was quite a bit less than the $8,000 the other guys wanted.
TDD
And, that's the state of the economy. We're headed into a depression to make 1929 look like party week at the frat house. I get plenty of chances to rescue older equipment. I regularly work on R-12 equipment that dates back to before the freon boondoggle.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

One thing you can do is take a clamp ammeter around the 220 line and measure the amps. On mine I measure 6 amps, which probably shows some loss of refridgerent but its still working. older AC will draw a lot more amps.
greg
(GregS) wrote:

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/html/wkend0412/images/11.jpg
Great link! Working that back, led to a list of JPEG files, that can be printed. http://www.harborfreightusa.com/html/wkend0412/images /