home A/C and R-22 - cost per lb

It is the slow leak into a confined space with an ignition source that is the problem. In an automotive sytewm a slow leak in the evaporator can put enough propane into the interior of the car to ignite from the spark of the dome light switch when the door is opened. Propane fuel components are NOT allowed inside the passenger area.

Reply to
clare

to "doom and gloom" and terror tactics, Many, MANY vehicles are equipped with propane AS A FUEL. In other words, there is no more dangerous environment for propane to exist in it's compressed format (in tanks). Yet, as EVERYONE knows who knows anything about chemistry, propane does not burn until and unless it is evaporated and mixed with sufficient oxygen and then brought to the ignition point. Even if there was a minute amount of oxygen in the sealed air conditioner/refrigeration loop, the danger of ignition is virtually nil.

an old freezer using propane, with no ill effects to my knowledge. I even power-factor-corrected the old units to use a fraction of the electricity making replacing them a low-priority issue.

that is to say for industry, for the elite who are in control of industry and commerce. The common "consumers" have no say in the matter which occurs in the capital cities of the world (contrary to what we are led to believe).

Propane being used as a refrigerant by a commercial refrigeration technician charged with the heat-pump systems of a number of skating rinks. He told me that Ammonia was the best refrigerant, but that Ammonia requires very special equipment AND care to use and maintain. Whereas Propane was a good substitute which is not weighted down with the same concerns as Ammonia. :)

Do you vacuum out the air before charging with flammable propane?

How do you get the propane from a POL threaded tank to a 1/4 flare refrigeration service valve?

Can you guarantee that kids who get a chemistry set for Christmas (and know some thing about chemistry) "ALL" know about the flammable properties of propane? The kids are included in EVERYONE who knows some thing about chemistry.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Very easy to adapt a propane cylinder to 1/4" flare. I bought a new propane tank and use it for R22

Reply to
dieselolds

\

Don't get caught!

Reply to
PaxPerPoten

I wonder if the Mormon will turn you in for the reward money on the fine you will pay.

Reply to
PaxPerPoten