High Velocity Duct

Is high velocity ducting worth installing in new construction? I have my doubts about it as I've read that if installed by an inexperienced contractor it can be noisy, and at best it sounds like rain. Do any of you guys have any opinions or experience with it?
Thanks! Jack
Jack wrote:

Even well designed it is still noisy. Why the Hell, would anyone want it in New construction? It is generally installed in older structures to facilitate Air conditioning where the heat is Hydronic etc. It is used only if duct work and an airhandler cannot be designed in properly. There is a VHS of the installs given at some Johnstone Supply training session from a few years ago. Maybe they still have it. Try ACCA or RSES.

There are tips and tricks that training will definately help with noise issues, as well as making installation much simplier. In leiu of traning, definately check out the manufacturer's websites and submit heat/load calc to manufacture's engineers. Caveat, keep your perspective on your job, they sometimes can make way more complicated than it needs to be, but it will give you a chance to ask questions...remember, they are vested in wanting their product to perform and will be more than happy to support you out in the field.
As far as new construction. This is not the best application for the current high-velocitiy systems out there when you have a chance to design to the structure before the build. The conventional systems have options that the hi-velocity systems do not currently have (i.e. lack of choices and scalability--zoning for instances). IMHO, the hi- velocity system is a great performing system for some applications; but, they do have limitations that you shouldn't have to contend with in a new build.