heating/air in garage/shop

I have been lookign around at used heat/air conditioners for my garage/ shop. It is not used all the time, mainly on weekends currently. It is a 30x30x10 metal building with 2x4 walls in the inside and 2x4 trusses on the ceiling.

I found a local heating air guy that has an 80's 3 ton unit that he says was workign when pulled out of the house. The owner wanted to upgrade. But, it is not a split system like I have in my house.

Is there a way to use this and it not look bad ? I mean, how would you do the duct from the outside to the inside with a 2x4 wall?

Would this be too inefficent since it is old even though I am not in there all the time. It does get terribly hot in there in the summer, I am not as concerned about heat in the winter. I am in the process of insulating currently and have no inside wall material as of yet other than studs.

I have a 100 amp panel in my garage.

This unit is 300 bucks.

Reply to
stryped

So you want to put in a 30 year old POS that wasn't good enough for somebodys home for a couple bucks more than the scrap value??

For $300 you can go to Walmart, Sams Club or Costco and get a new window shaker that will do the job.

If you wanted to spend a few more bucks, you can have a Fujitsu mini-split heat pump in that will qualify for the Federal Energy Tax Credit, and use a very small fraction of energy to run it than what that package unit will use.

Reply to
Steve

I'd imagine it would require cutting some kind of hole in the wall. Wouldn't you ?

Reply to
.p.jm.

'A few bucks' more ???? Bwhahaha !!!! :-) Try 'more than 10 times the cost'.

Reply to
.p.jm.

You should definitely sign up for that service roundtable shit....

Reply to
Existential Angst

I could be wrong but what you looking for is AC heat pump a unit for cooling and heating, I would say $300 bucks is not bad but then everybody to his own. Since this is like work shop it should not be problem put a duct in all you need couple holes and yes you got to weather proof it, but why install it out? anybody with little knowledge should be able do it. $1000.00 of labor and you all set.

Grumpy

de quoted text -

This is a garage /shop I am only in on the weekends. The main reason is sometimes in order to get anythign done I have to have the kids with me. Putting a tv out there has really helped, as they watch cartoons while I am working. But it is getting hotter and I dont think they can stay in there when it starts getting 90 outside.

I dont have any windows in the building. I would add one if I thought a window air conditioner would work but I dont see a window air conditioner cooling 900 square feet with a 10 foot ceiling.

Reply to
stryped

de quoted text -

Could I run the duct on the outside of the building overhead to the attic area and put vents int he ceiling? Would having the duct on the outside cause problems?

Reply to
stryped

This is a garage /shop I am only in on the weekends. The main reason is sometimes in order to get anythign done I have to have the kids with me. Putting a tv out there has really helped, as they watch cartoons while I am working. But it is getting hotter and I dont think they can stay in there when it starts getting 90 outside.

I dont have any windows in the building. I would add one if I thought a window air conditioner would work but I dont see a window air conditioner cooling 900 square feet with a 10 foot ceiling. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Look dude......... Either you have the job done properly, with a load calc and professional install for about 5-10,000 dollars, or you hack a hole into the side of the building and slip in a window unit that will take the edge off the heat.

Either way, quit bitching.

Reply to
HVAC

They can if you use enough duct tape !

It might, depends on your insulation and other factors.

Reply to
.p.jm.

Out doors exposes the duct to birds, squirrels, ultraviolet light, rain, and so on. Also absorbs heat from the sunlight, so it's less effective as cooling duct.

Some buildings do use outdoor rectangular metal duct. Typically fiberglass wrapped.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Analysis Pyralysis. There is a point of diminishing returns, where more analysis provides slightly less benefit.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Look you ignorant hack if you don't know wtf you're talking about which is most of the time, just shut the f*ck up. Running duct outside is no problem. Just have it liner with duct insulation and paint the outside with cool seal to waterproof it.

Reply to
The King

Good ole King...Still running over small animals and kicking cross eyed babies.

Reply to
Alexander