Heat pumps: Amana vs. York

i need to replace my heat pump as it died. since it is 18 years old i'm going to replace it and have a new air handler installed as well. i have gotten quotes from 2 reputable heating/cooling contractors in the area however they each deal with a different equipment line. the estimates are in the same ballpark.

so my question is: which is a better brand Amana or York?

i'm looking for objective replies as far as reliability, etc. they each come with a full 10 year parts warranty. the Amana has a 10 labor warranty while the York is only 1 year.

thanks!

Reply to
gwa000

Personally, I would go with the Amana Equipment, however, "the quality of the installation is the critical factor." Labor is a big cost factor, that 10 year Amana labor warranty could be worth a lot to you. A lot of the warranty work could be during the later 9 years when you need the coverage the most.

- udarrell

Reply to
udarrell

It all depends on which ballpark you are in. If you are in the mideastern ballpark, get an Amana. If you are in the northern ballpark, get a York. (York, New York, North............) So they are both the same but only one has a 10 yr Labor warranty??? Ever had an "in-home" service call lately where a part was replaced? Whadda ya think that's going to be worth over 10 yrs with inflation. "Dont make me get Stormy's rock out to "splain" it to you any better". Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

See if you can dig up a ten year old phone book.

Look in the Yellow Pages under "Air Conditioning Contractors".

Now get out a current phone book.

Look in the Yellow Pages under "Air Conditioning Contractors".

Now do the math..........

Reply to
Hate-Me

the one place has been in business for over 50 years, the other 20 years. like i said, both are reputable (no outstanding complaints registered in the BBB) and they are not a typical companies that spend a fortune with TV ads. they get most of the business, i'm guessing, for installations by word-of-mouth. or just someone randomly picking their name from the phone book.

could they go out of business, sure. but in this case they seem to have solid reputations. it basically comes down, like i said, to Amana vs. York. i just want to make sure that the Amanas are not crap.

Reply to
gwa000

The one that's correctly sized, installed & set-up to operate with-in the manufacture's specifications, while following all the appropriate codes.

Reply to
<kjpro

They&#39;re all crap, till you hire somone who&#39;s competent in HVAC.

Reply to
<kjpro

my amana "ultra" is getting along in years - works great but it&#39;s noisy.

Reply to
jthread