Heat Pump will not shut off

At the start of the heating season I found out that my heat pump will not shut off. 2 thermostats later it is doing the same thing. I don't know too much about heat pumps or how they work. It works fine for heating the house. Once it reaches the temerature I set it for it will not shut off. It will just continue running all day at that tempature and sometimes lets say I will have it set for 65 in the house it will be 68 degrees in the house. So the heat pump continues to run and get hotter. Most of the time it will just sit at 65 though with everything still running. Heres the strange part. When I set the temp for anything below 65 it works fine. I put it down to 63 and the heat pump and the unit in my attic shut off.

That's very odd... it's almost always the thermostat?

Sounds like something else may be wrong besides the thermostat.
-zero

You have already wasted money on 2 thermostats and you still have the same problem. Ya think it might be time to call a tech???

Sounds like maybe a stuck relay in the thermostat or condensing unit...to check get a large hammer and keep whacking the thermostat till either the thermostat is destroyed or the unit shuts off.
If the above doesn't work then you need to get an about 4ft long piece of 2 x 4 lumber and keep hitting the thermostat all around the electrical box which should eventually take care of the problem/

Oops meant use the 4x2 on the condensing unit silly me guess I mis typed.

On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 03:23:11 -0800 (PST), "Kyle D."

Kyle, Dont listen to all these back yard shade tree mechanics in here. I have a nationally accredited thermostat installers liscense from Homeywell and an RSES to boot. Those programmable stats cost a lot but they make them cheap. It usually takes 3 or sometimes 4 of them before you get one that is accurate and works correctly. Replace the stat again. If you need further help, look for a guy named Stormy or "notHVACguy". Those guys are tops. Bubba
It sounds like you are cycling on EH rather than the HP
--
Bob Pietrangelo
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net (home)