Heat Pump for Radiant System

In our radiant floor heating system, the water circulates for very long periods at approximately 5 GPM; the water goes in at 115 degrees F and comes out at 95.

We have never seen a heat pump solution for a system like this, but we keep thinking that it is something that a heat pump might do better than a propane-burning system.

Does anyone know of a heat-pump solution?

Thanks.

Reply to
mbaguide2000-buy

There are systemes available that utilize a heat pump to heat hydronic(s). I personally feel the maintenance outways the savings in this respect. [But others tell me no.]

Most are "built up" and not off the shelf.

Reply to
Zyp

Yes, certainly for this type of temperature range and application water to water or air to water heat pumps are perfect. Also can use the same system for your domestic hot water.

Duane

Reply to
Duane.Tilden

On the air source side, I've not run into any mfgr specifically for radiant floor water heating, but there are lots designed for pool heating... try a search for that. On the geothermal side almost every mfgr makes a water to water heat pump & they're relatively bullet proof... Just remember in either case you will need a buffer tank to insure long run times, if not used the HP will short cycle & you WILL burn it up quick. Pool units have the pools water volume & won't require a buffer tank...

I just got a call on one in Iowa,that's going on it's 3rd compressor in 2 years. This time they're installing the buffer tank, hopefully it'll last a bit longer. They're replacing contacts & anything else that shows signs of wear, but I know they're in for future issues as well. I'm suggesting a totally new unit, but the Utility is balking... (Utility rebated/incentivised & designed initial system)

Do a search for radiant floor buffer tank & you should find a umber of mfgr's & others (Terry Love, Dan Hoolihan etc...) The rule of thumb is 1 Gallon /1000 Btu 80 gallon tank on a 80,000 btu unit etc...

goodluck geothermaljones st.paul,mn.

Reply to
geothermaljones

Cheers

Richard

Reply to
r.bartlett

Most pool heaters dont provide for low O/S ambient operation ( there's no defrost cycling )

IIRC Trevor Martin maybe has a lineup though--and would probly build up whatever you kinda wanting since appears maybe your perhaps lacking a tad on the engineering side of things.

Jeffry Lebowski