Heat Pump Fan Motor Install Question

Page 4 of 4

Having a little knowledge is dangerous.

Maybe 1 or 2 customers a year, but only because they just don't have the money to pay for the needed repairs. Even at that, I give them options for the minimum required repairs to get the system to function, and defer needed maintenance to a later date.

Good luck with that....

Steve wrote:

Well that demonstrates that it's not exactly like modern "retail" even if it being practiced as such. I enjoyed reading your earlier remarks and and am willing to leave it at that if you are.
Regards, Bill

When I was active in the trade, a $7,000 estimate generally meant the equipment was going to be about $3,500. We took the cost and doubled it for a total price. Our development in Arizona was built in 04-06 and by 2010 about 8 of the heat pumps had been replaced. With the stories of R-22 on the news, none of those pumps were given a repair estimate. The $7,000 was replacement cost of the entire unit both inside and out.

Congrats. Now hold a strip of paper above the fan grille, if the free end hence the air goes pretty much straight up, you are OK. If instead the air exits at an angle outward from the center, in a diverging cone shape the condenser coil is dirty and needs to be cleaned before you fry another motor.
Daniel who wants to know wrote:

See page 8 of the installation manual (link below). Are you in disagreemment with it?
http://www.docs.hvacpartners.com/idc/groups/public/documents/techlit/38byc-7pd.pdf
If the condensor coil was dirty, the heat pump would run longer or more often than it normally does, now wouldn't it?
Bill

http://www.docs.hvacpartners.com/idc/groups/public/documents/techlit/38byc-7pd.pdf
No, note the center arrow pointing straight up, on a plugged condenser the air is flung more out than up by the blade tips with none from the center, on a clean unit it does go straight up from the center around the motor. Some does still fling outward from the tips.
A plugged condenser is harder on the fan motor in 4 ways:
1. Higher discharge temps in cooling mode. 2. Less cooling airflow over the motor body. 3. Higher motor torque load from the axial fan. (centrifugal fans/blowers unload as the airflow is restricted) 4. Air going more outward instead of upward is more likely to be recirculated back through the coil, raising discharge temps in cooling even more.

Why yes it would, but we don't notice slow changes very well, and coils don't usually plug up overnight.

Sorry forgot to trim.

The fan blade is not positioned correctly on the motor shaft will cause problems too.
On 6/4/2012 6:42 AM, Steve wrote:

I always look for that sweet spot in the venturi. ^_^
TDD
Steve wrote:

Yes, in my case, I measured the distance of the blade from the fan grille and positioned it on the new motor so that this dimension was the same. The replacement motor was actually a little shorter, so this was a simple, but important, step.
Daniel who wants to know wrote:

In the experiment you suggested in your earlier post above, you didn't say to hold the "paper strips" over the *center* of the fan grill. That's where we had a communication breakdown. What you wrote or copied below is much clearer.

The original motor was over 10 years old, I'll believe that the bearings gave up due to old age; I will monitor for other symptoms of a plugged condensor just in case. Thank you for your concern.
Bill
On 6/4/2012 7:12 AM, Bill wrote:

Daniel is correct about the air flow, I use a shop rag to illustrate the problem for customers but the air stream should feel like that on your hand if you hold it out the window of a vehicle moving 30mph. ^_^
TDD
One of my memorable "no cooling" calls. Turned out to be clogged condensor that looked perfectly clean. That bit of wisdom did come along, but it was hard won, and some what painful.
Daniel is correct about the air flow, I use a shop rag to illustrate the problem for customers but the air stream should feel like that on your hand if you hold it out the window of a vehicle moving 30mph. ^_^
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

Even above the center, where the air flow is straight up?
Bill
What means, if it's a converging cone?