heat exchanger noise

10 year old Armstrong gas forced air furnace makes a muffled boom noise 10-15 seconds before blower turns off after a heating cycle. Service man states its the heat exchanger. Company will warranty the part but not cost to replace $200-$300 labor. Have been told its not a safety issue but an asthetic one. Any thoughts on this? Thanks in advance, Jim
Reply to
pa appel

Hey, if you want a warranty heat exchanger installed for $300 so it looks pretty.........that's up to you. Just make sure you change the thermostat and wiring to make it run more efficient. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

My thoughts are "not likely"...

...it'd be a new one in the book if it were true.

Reply to
<kjpro

In the older days, heat exchangers might "oil can", but I haven&#39;t heard on doing that in many years. I&#39;d bet it&#39;s something else. Check to see if the blower wheel is tight to the shaft. Or something ....

Reply to
Zephyr

Of coarse, his 10 year old furnace might ACTUALLY be 20+ years old.

Like the one I was told wasn&#39;t very old... less than 5 years.

Ended up being an old Brown, natural draft, Heil, with a pilot light!!!!!!!

Reply to
<kjpro