Heat ducts by ceiling return vents by floor

Page 1 of 2
I have a house that was built in 1951. The heat ducts are near the ceiling and the return ducts are by the floor. I always found that unusual since heat is supposed to rise. Is that how houses were built back then? What was the purpose behind setting stuff up that way?
- Clint
Purpose is that you can not have duct that is suitable for heat and the AC compromised had to be made what you have is ideal for AC system if one have been install if not that makes it easy for you to install one I wish that I have forced air heating system but I don't
Dido

Maybe it's time you moved into a bigger cardboard box....
--
Respectfully, Bob

Mr. Loblaw It would be whole lot better if you was to put you head in toilet bowl and flushed down it make much more since Dido
wrote

You are considering your self HVAC man I am not Then it would be nice of you to tell whole world why not or at least tell us why you considering that I am wrong Dido

So you're not an HVAC man, eh? So tell us something....why in the FUCK are you posting HVAC advice, you fucking idiot!
--
Respectfully, Bob

"Bob_Loblaw" wrote:

yo bob, tell us how it feels to be owned by Dido
he sure can jerk your chain!
snipped-for-privacy@gonefishin.net wrote

LOL!! I enjoy cutting his legs out from under him! It's what I live for!
--
Respectfully, Bob

wrote

Where's Eddie? He eats those damn things...
#1 TO ANNOYED YOU MY FRIEND #2 idiots knows only how to criticize #3 if I did not post anything you would still be ` playing with you self behind milk cooler #4 if you are such pro is it hard for you to gave poor fallow some idea what look for the problem is you can't tell difference between the wrench and screw-driver, that is why!!! #5 Idiot like you would not know what to do with you self if I did not post something that you would not know anything about #6 I know that some cheap crap is put on market without any shock absorbing device like rubber grummets or rubber bushings #7 "why in the FUCK are you posting HVAC advice" because it is my privilege and you don't have to like it All is well Dido
wrote

He's as thick as a fucking brick! I think his real name is Borat!
--
Respectfully, Bob

ROTFLMAO!! This is the same Dildo who posted and said to CLOSE the return air upstairs to get better cooling! Hey Dildo! So, you want us to give you a clue as to why you're wrong... Well here's a hint.....hot air rises...does that help you at all??
--
Respectfully, Bob

wrote

Since you are Pro. let me explain it to you in Layman language Original post that person have made complain was as fallow "I am getting to cold down stairs compare to up-stairs first floor about 68 Deg. and second floor 75 Deg. is anyway I can correct this with what I have. this person Is getting to much cooling on first floor but not a enough on the second floor also I believe he said that his AC is located in basement
Now Mr. LOBLAW know it all gave us answer what would you do?
My answer was close off supply air on the first floor and close off return air on second floor according to his posting these is single family house there for I will summed that he have open stairways which will act as return duct I will also assumed that you as pro knows that cold air always goes down unless you want change laws of mother nature. Now does you thick head apprehend what said dumb ass From Dido

Ya, so you've just described the most common complaint there is about A/C.

He has stratification. A layer of hot air upstairs, because hot air rises. You cool a room by doing two things. First, you have to deliver cool air into the room. Second, and just as important, you have to REMOVE the hot air! The LAST thing you want to do is CLOSE the return air upstairs. How are you going to remove the hot air by doing that???

Hot air rises. How can the stairwell act as a return air duct for hot air that is trapped on the second floor? Why not utilize the return air duct that was installed for that purpose???

Does yours?? Take some A/C courses before you try to answer questions.
--
Respectfully, Bob

So that the colder air near the floor will be the air that goes to the furnace to be heated.
Does seem a bit strange, to pump hot air into where it's already hot.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.