Has anyone used a Universal Potential Relay? Do they work?

I have a 3HP Copeland Med Temp unit that the compressor won't start all of the time. When it does start, the amp draw is good, capacitors all check good, so I'm thinking the start relay is going bad. If I can't find the exact relay, (it's pretty old), would one of the "Universal" types work? I see one in my Grainger catalog. How do you set them? I see something in the description about drop- in and drop-out voltage. The condensing unit is 208V. The numbers on my old relay are: 3ARR3MARS64 M&A 19003. Any help much appreciated.

I am not familier with the numbers.... Have you tried a TO-5 Kickstart??
Make sure the relay is suitable for the HP If you can larger on the relay HP ...this is good Why not install a Copeland hard start kit?

Not sure what a "TO" kit is... would the Copeland Hard Start kit include a Start relay?
daytona wrote:

http://www.kickstartoem.com /#

Yes...it is included

Christopher: consider you self lucky that you are not living in this part of country, I have being working on systems that should have 208 after customer burn up some wiring they call for service only for me to find that are running on 195-7 and are wondering why is it that unit is not working properly, this is not one place it is practically across eastern part of country 90% are running below 205 which isn't enough for 220 machines this year I replace few compressors because of the low voltage when the equipment blow fuses you would think that some one would check for that oh no that is to much to ask so good for me they are paying for it From Dido

Yes, it's fun to joke about 240 volts only being for eastern states. It's sad that the equipment is burning up from low voltage. And I'm pleased you have the skills to check. Something I ought to do from now on, check the line voltage as part of any clean and check.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.