Guess how many Amps this 220 VAC HVAC motor draws at 110 VAC?

Guess how many Amps this 220 VAC HVAC motor draws at 110 VAC?

After running a GE 5KCP392G M730BS fan/motor (salvaged from a condenser) for a week at 110 VAC, and after all the naysayers said it could not be done, I finally meaured the current.

There was no large insurge of current as seen on an analog 0-30 Amp Simpson meter.

The spec on the motor reads 208-230 VAC 1.9 Amp

It has a run cap of 5 mfd/370 V

BTW The motor case was hot but I could still hold my hand on the metal case.

. The motor starts easily and runs smoothly and quietly at 110 VAC

What is the Amp draw at 110 VAC?

Reply to
stu

716.8675309 Amps.
Reply to
Mo Hoaner

Guess how many marbles one could stuff into your empty rock hard noggin? Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Incorrect.

Reply to
stu

My previous post as follow:

DIMMER MUST BE WITH TRIACS OUTPUT Also for those that don't understand this it is "ONLY" with 115VAC and 220vac/1/60 motors Dido

Reply to
AKS

Should be less than 4 Amps .

???????: snipped-for-privacy@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
wk185620

Whoever wrote this thanks for the common sense and your input .

[ My previous post as follow:

Did you measure the current at 110 VAC?

Reply to
stu

Dido,

From my experience triacs do not work well with induction motors... they will work with commutated (brush) motors... but they are highly inefficient and tend to burn brushes at an alarming rate.

The whole crux of this is that AC induction motors cannot be speed controlled through lowering the the supply voltage... it simply will not work.

While triacs are not lowering voltage (in effect they are very cheap frequency chopper designs), false triggering is very likely.... as well as...

Some fan applications may use triacs for speed control from 80-100 percent of rated RPM... but if you go much lower the slip is so high the motor rapidly overheats... as has already been discussed here.

IGBT and SSR power supply designs may be a better choice... although more expensive.

Jake

Reply to
Jake

Jake Please I said on shaded pole and multi tap winning with capacitor run motors I did not say anything about DC or brush driving motors. And triacs do not work well with any motors you right but are used and they do work on AC systems. On DC systems you would be using SCR instead. Back to triacs I do know that some companies actually use triacs to power up,up to 2 HP refrigeration compressors and on some systems they may be parallel 2x2 HP on one triac. there are some solid state relays that could also be use as dimmers by external use of controlled source AC or DC depend on relay it self and OEM design. some slid state relays use triacs and some use SCR (Silicon Control Rectifiers) these rectifiers are hookup back to back in package so that can pass full AC sine wave, the single-one passes only one half of sine wave and are usable only on DC.

Reply to
AKS

I woulda guessed more like 715.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Actually, it's the supposed former phone number of the daughter of the Erie County Sheriff.

The answer had as much relevance as the hack's question. After all, he could go buy the correct unit at Lowes for $100. He wouldn't even have to screw around with figuring out how to mount it.

Reply to
Mo Hoaner

"AKS" wrote

Ya , okay, Dildo, wait a minute while we all run and get our notebooks so we can write down what you say....LOL

Reply to
Bob_Loblaw

Sorry incorrect wording it will be hook up in parallel with output tied together positive and negative in and out. both SCRs will get power at same time one will be fed on positive side and one on negative side in this configuration AC is available however it will not be true RMS but good enough that power can be variable Dido

Reply to
AKS

A full wave bridge rectifier using SCRs is used to provide variable DC voltage to DC motors. Example: Reliance Max Pak Plus drives. they can be 1.

2 or 4 quadrant drives. They can be built with all SCRs or SCRs paired with diodes, depending on the application needed. how did we come to this?

I am Stu mied. Bob

Reply to
DIMwit