Goodman Heat Pump Emergency Heat doesn't work

I have a rather cheap Goodman heat pump. Last night temp got down to 15F or so, so I turned the "Emergency Heat" on - it's a manual switch on the thermostat. The little red light came on, I smelled that funny lint burning smell that usually happens the first time it is turned on every winter. So then I went to bed, woke up early to a freezing house. The emergency heat had stopped working in the night sometime. I went to the thermostat, turned the emergency heat off, and the fan kicked on and warm air came from the vents. I turned the emergency heat back on and the fan shut off. Is there a reset switch on the unit that, until switched, would cause this to happen to the emergency heat only? My wife is going to call repair man today to come check it, but I thought you guys might have some ideas as well. Thanks.
Tone wrote:

Also want to add that the unit is about 6 years old.
Tone wrote:

Also want to add that the unit is about 6 years old.

Smart woman.
message

Thanks for the helpful info.

Usually, when you own a heat pump, you have someone come out in the fall, clean the unit, check refrigerant levels, test heating elements and check performance levels. "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure". Maybe next time you will consider servicing your unit. Bubba

Wow! Even more great advice. Thanks!

Your welcome. Bubba