Goodman evaporator unit

Page 1 of 2
I have a Goodman U-36 Rev B evaporator unit installed in mid-2003 in new construction. System suddenly stopped blowing cold air overnight. Technician I called checks around, says there's no juice, leak somewhere. He opens up the evaporator box, sprays for leaks, and tells me there's a leak at the base of the A-coil. Bubbles appear where the arrow points at: http://new.photos.yahoo.com/wjspm2/photo/294928804394969908/0 .
Technician quotes me $800-900 after parts/labor to replace the evaporator unit, even with the unit still under warranty. He also says if he can't get the part locally, Goodman may have to manufacture one in Texas, which may take a while.
My questions are 1) Do I really need a new evaporator unit? 2) Is the quote in range? 3) Are there other models I can put in besides Goodmans?
wjspm
1. Yes
2. No
3. Yes
Hope this helped

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

box first, if so why?
Most leaks are slow leaks, - if it was cooling perfectly well a few hours earlier, I question the techs finding. It would have to be a bad manufacturing braze job that failed later. There are a lot of ways to confirm a leak other than bubbles, did he also use an electronic leak detector? He said NO juice; all of it leaked out?
Those are copper coils & if he can get at the leak with his oxyacetylene torch he ought to be able to remove the refrigerant & braze it. Is the E-Coil still under warranty? If it is, why is he charging you 800 to 900 dollars to replace it? http://www.udarrell.com/ac-trouble-shooting-chart.html - udarrell

Darrell, Everytime you open your mouth its obvious you don't have the first clue about hvac. Keep trying though. You are quite comical. Bubba

Come on, overnight doesn't normally mean overnight... ever talked to clients?
Why does it cost 8-900 for a coil replacement???????? Are you going to do it for FREE????????? When it's installed in 2003???????

Its probably toast.

When he installs the new coil, make sure that he puts a proper trap in the drain.

1) yes 2) yes 3) no

Hey what's with that? JB :o)

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

sounds like horseshit to me. how can a system have no juice & yet still produce bubbles?
also sounds like the technician is making a hefty sales commission on a part supposedly under warranty. oh wait, i know that answer....the freon that has leaked out isnt covered, so his charge is for freon & his labor which probably isnt included in the warranty
I recommend 2 things: 1) educate yourself on formicary corrosion- google it & look for the pdf file by Carrier on this topic and 2) research this product : http://www.cliplight.com/hvacr/products.php?pageID=Product_Details&productIDb&catID '
I have been using it for 3 yrs now on everything from 2 ton machines to 44 ton machines. Magically, the leaks stop.
The only negative aspect of this product is the technician is no longer justified in raping the consumer, unless of course he's gifted in the art of selling.
Pat,
E-mail me off group about this please!
--
Bob Pietrangelo
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net (home)

r you trying to confuse me, it realy isn't that hard!
--
Bob Pietrangelo
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net (home)
not one bit
www.jlbco.net

Daytona,
Is this your site?
--
Bob Pietrangelo
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net (home)
yes

snipped-for-privacy@gonefishin.net wrote:

It works good on the smaller stuff below 2 ton like walk-ins and reach-ins. Another tool in the arsenal.
--
http://rses.org /

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

So it blows cold fine during the day but not overnight?
What juice? Orange? Electrical power? Freezone?

I don't see Bubbles. When is her next appearance?

1) If it's actually leaking, yes. 2) Yes 3) Yes, good luck finding a new evaporator that will fit the existing coil box.