Goodman/Bryant/Trane/Lennox?

Page 2 of 2

Fair enough but as a consumer and presented with a failed oem board then replacing it with another fucking overpriced , prone to failure, POS oem product is generally the very last option that I'm willing to explore....
Screw it drill a couple 4 new holes into the can, fit up a generic defrost board and get hustling onto your next service call.

Travis Bickle wrote:

So at least IT is not 20 years old. Why would you want to replace a one year old compressor?
The contractor who did the work offered a 10%

FWIW, that sounds bogus to me. How fast do you think Freon flows through those lines?

First off, thanks to everybody for the advice. I'm going to be digging through the yellow pages tonight to get some wholesalers to call, and yes, I'll be following up with the BBB, too.
Some quick answers and clarifications:
* The condenser unit is a Coleman EVCon. It's about 10 years old. Some research online leads me to believe Coleman is a York brand. I have no idea what make the air handler is.
* The $350 for the defrost board included installation. When he made the diagnosis on Saturday, the tech warned me that he'd have to find out the price on this particular board, but that the book in his truck showed boards listing from $130 up to almost $500 for just the board. I don't know what the hourly labor rate is, but I'm guessing it's at least $100. We got the quote on Monday, and that's when we asked to get an estimator out to do the quote on a new system.
* The 75 feet of run line has been universally regarded as stupid because the condenser is so unnecessarily far from the air handler. This is the opinion of everybody who's looked at my system. I'm no HVAC expert, so I have no opinion. Seems everyone here agrees that 75' doesn't have to be stupid, and it depends on the specifics of the installation. I can tell you that the run line doesn't go under my slab. It's buried underground and runs outside the footprint of the house from the condenser in the back yard, under the wall, through the front yard, underneath a sidewalk that runs from the front door to the driveway, and in through the garage wall.
* The "rust" on my evaporator coils is probably just corrosion by the wrong name. I did see evidence of corrosion when I looked. To my untrained eye, I thought I saw copper tubing in a gray metal frame. I couldn't tell whether the gray metal was steel or aluminum. At any rate, the tech who identified the corrosion problem told me he'd seen coils last for years looking worse than mine, but there's no way to know for sure when it'll fail.
* The system is 10 SEER, and my electricity bills in the summertime are at least $200 more than in the winter. I'm guessing the difference is almost entirely from my AC. Given that nobody's making 10 SEER stuff any more, parts are harder to get, and when that coil goes, I'll have to replace the system anyway.
* Speaking of the drip pan, since the humidity went up in the Phoenix area at the beginning of July, I've had problems with my condensate drip line, which supposedly drains into the sewer, although the estimator told us he's seen other houses in our area where the drip line simply went into the dirt under/near the house. My current line is about 2' of 1" PVC that goes to a T fitting. One half of the T goes through the slab and I can't see where it ends. The other half is open to the air. The clogs seem to be occuring in the part between the air handler and the T fitting, so I can replace that myself. However, if the problem occurs after the T, I've been told it'd be $500 to put in a pump and a new drain line that runs along the garage wall and out the front wall of the garage.
* Also on the list of unwise repairs I've done on this unit is the new contactor that I had the tech install on Saturday. The old contactor had been installed when the same tech replaced my compressor last summer, but the contact points were pitted and there was a lot of carbon built up. That was $200 I should have saved until getting the defrost board quote and deciding whether to fix or replace the unit.
By the way, is my year-old compressor worth anything?
--
You lookin at me?

BBB is a JOKE!!!

Coleman is York...

Wow, now we have a $500 price for a defrost board!!! Ouch!!!

This now sounds like a clusterfuck!

$500 for a pump and line... Hummm.... would anyone like to comment on this?

Yes, you should have waited.

Nope
Nope, still checking out your wife!

Yup, I just put a defrost board in a Coleman/Luxaire/York POS, and the customers cost was almost $400.

Thats a little high for a condensate pump and line... I would do 2 of them for that.

--snip--

I just couldn't take that subject line any longer. I have to say I think Trane (AS), Bryant(Carrier) and Rheem (who always seem to get left out) are far superior units than Lennox or Goodman, IMHO...

LOL
Rudd/Rheem is what my boss used to install. Far as I know, they have performed well.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

Thats just it, you didnt know. Maybe your boss did but you didnt have the first clue. Still dont. Never did. Never will. I wouldnt let you work on an empty paper cup. Bubba