Goodman Air Handler Rheem Condensing Unit

Page 2 of 2

Ya well--does kinda sound like it's "designed" for max of 80 deg oa.....
Hmm...maybe should just add a few window units...
<G>

Jeffrey Lebowski wrote:

figure he will end up screwing up big-time! Houston,TX, huh. Summer Design is 95-Dry Bulb. 77-Wet Bulb or 18 degree drop, around 44% Relative Humidity. I thought there should be a higher humidity down there, - Stated ARI Figures.
Go back & read the advice I gave you in my prior post, or throw you money to the wind. http://www.udarrell.com/proper_cfm_btuh_duct_sizing_air_conditioning_systems.html - udarrell
--
WISDOM PRINCIPLED EMPOWERMENT COMMUNICATIONS -

You can count on this...

.html

the point that is lost to so many contractors is the fact that the customers money is his to spend how he sees fit.
conventional wisdom would say upgrade the glazing & insulation prior to upgrading the ac system, but sometimes the budget doesnt allow for all of that, and the bottom line is when its hotter than hell outside, we want our damned ac, period. Do we really care how much the electricity costs us when the choice is stay cool or roast thru the night trying to get a few hours sleep?
We all know his existing duct system is marginal at best, and when connected to 13 seer equipment, he's going to have problems. So now factor in a new air distribution system as well, crammed into that low pitched roof. Now what's the budget?

Bankrupt!!

OK I guess I started a crap storm at this place.........Let me ask you this if my air handler is ok for a 3 ton unit then what about my inside coils???? I know all of you are going to say I need to chance that as well soooo....how do I find out what the maximum or what the compatibility is for the inside coil??? Basically how do I tell if it will handle a 3 ton unit??
Thanks E
I bow down to the A/C GODS!!!!
snipped-for-privacy@woodmarkre.com wrote:

post the make, model & serial number for each component. If you cant find a model number for the condensing unit, post the numbers on the compressor. model numbers will tell us capacity, serial numbers tell us age.
On Mar 28, 6:51 pm, snipped-for-privacy@gonefishin.net wrote:

Condensor make Rheem Compressor model # CFF1-0250-RFVC Serial # 8110853914
Evaporator coil.....I can not find the model nor the serial #.....where should it be??
Air handler Goodman Model # A30-10 Serial # 9709004677
Thanks, E
On 28 Mar 2007 17:56:30 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@woodmarkre.com wrote:

Its a 1997 Goodman air handler that will handle 30,000 BTU of cooling. (With the correct refrigerant metering device) The Condenser is a 24,000 BTU (25 if you want to get particular) and probably 1981 but who cares. Your welcome. Now go buy a new one and get a new thermostat, maybe a ductbooster and a 25 yr labor warranty. Bubba

So the air handler will handle a 3 ton but nothing.....and you're saying that the condensor I cuttently have is a 2.5 ton......I'm gonna go with a 3 ton and I've already installed a new T-stat but I have no idea what a duct booster is gonna look it up.......thanks a bunch I'm sure your customers are very pleased with you since you actually have some personallity and don't talk like a freaking manual or robot.....
Much Appreciated E

NO. It will handle 2-1/2 ton MAX.

NO. Its 2 tons, and if you upsize it to 2-1/2 then make sure the metering device gets changed out to handle the additional refrigeranrt mass volume

NO. IF you do that, then its gonna trip out on high head and your seer is gonna drop like a rock.

Which probly didnt hurt things any...

He was just messin with you above on the duck booster

Umm...cat's done got my fucking tongue

OH..
Almost forgot :
FIRST, FIX THE FUCKING WINDOWS !!!!

just curious Jeffery, but is your definition of a duck booster as someone who steals ducks, or as in the case of The Mighty Ducks of Anaheim, is it someone who financially supports the Hockey Team?

Quack.

Meant to say will freeze and low suction....was thinking heat pumps...

It's not like the OP would know any difference!! :-)
30k is actually 2.5 ton and 24k is 2 ton. So your air handler fan will only accomidate up to 2.5 tons and your current coil is a 2 ton coil. 3 ton is likely to be oversized. You really need someone to do a load calculation to determine the right size. Oversizing results in damp cold air and that sucks comfort wise. If you really want to keep your current air handler you might have to remove the inside coil and replace it with a cased coil that goes with the new outside unit. That may or may not take some sheet metal work. Air handlers are pretty cheap comparatively so simply getting a new airhandler with the right coil probably will not cost much more than what it will cost to retain your old one since you will need a new coil anyway and you then will have all new. If you factor in the labor it's probably a wash. You definately do not want to simply buy a new outside unit and have it hooked to the existing coil.