Goodman AC Lemon

Page 2 of 4

KJPRO wrote:

Ah, thanks. I found this:
"Formicary coil corrosion is caused by contaminants in the air that collect onto the condensation that forms on indoor coils during a cooling cycle. These contaminants turn into acids when they are exposed to the moisture, etching the copper of the coils in a manner that looks like tunnels in an ant farm."
I'm in Texas where the people and the air are pure, so we don't see air-coil ant-farms (we do, however, have fire ants and law schools).
The OP is in Grand Rapids, Michigan. I'm not sure that contributes to the air quality. Maybe he's downwind from an unsanitary Taco Stand.

Doesn't matter where you live today, as the newer coils are made cheap with cheap materials. That means thinner and thinner copper being used to keep things cheap while making them more efficient.
Formicary corrosion is caused by household products off gasing fumes. They include but are not limited to... carpets, furniture, hair spray, purfume, etc, etc... New homes are effected the worse, as everything is new and the gases are stronger, sometimes effecting a coil in less than a year. There's new coils being manufactured to slow this effect down... as it is a major problem in todays world.

Said coil is called alumituff and manufactured by Trane. I do not beleive that goodman or amana offer such a coil for their junk.

You're wrong once again... It's called *tin* coating.... buy UT. But that doesn't mean anything to an incompetent tech that has to use certs for qualifing their knowledge. Don't you just hate feeling stupid all the time? You don't have to say anymore, I already know you've been *train-washed*.

The funny part is that you have no clue what is wrong with doing this. Go use google some more fucktard. While you're doing that I'll be on my yacht tommorow, you know, the one all of those useless certs got me. What a complete dumbass.
snipped-for-privacy@abc.com wrote:

At age 90, you will still be Stormies Apprentice and he will be cursing us for unloading you on him! ;-p Maybe you can get those Certs bronzed and impress the hell out of your neighbors. ;-p
KJPRO wrote:

(sniff..Sniff) Isn't this a happy day? Stormy just got his first Apprentice. ;-p

Yep, and we havn't even met in person. A proud day for sure.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
snipped-for-privacy@abc.com wrote:

Trane doesn't make their own coil and neither does Goodman. Alumatuff has real issues if any acid at all rears its ugly head in the system. By the way..This is not a forum to advertise your products. Our job here is to inform each other and to flame any and all.
Having followed this thread for some time I could not sit by any longer. Anyone that says goodman or amana make decent heating and air products is just plain full of shit. I am NATE certified (gas heat, heat pump and ac) for service and install. What unit do i work on the most? Goodman. What unit do I work on the second most? Amana. What unit did our company stop selling because of too many warranty issues? Goodman and Amana. We have the same installers we had then that we have now. We sell Trane now and I've run exactly 2 warranty calls on all the Tranes we have installed in the last three years. Both of them were for leaking txv valves. While an installer can definetly screw up any system while installing it, a good installer can't do anything if the equipment they are installing is shit. Goddman and Amana are pure shit. Fuck you if you say otherwise. Shields up, cloaking device activated.

Um, if you say so genius. I guess my RSES cert aint for shit either then. Not to mention the HVAC Excellence certs. I'll out troubleshoot you any day kid. You just keep believing that crap is king!

You don't know me or my abilities... so keep on dreaming. Once again, you're showing your ignorance by calling me a kid. I guess they handed you the certs out of pity.
Why don't you throw out a few more certs... that way you can feel better about yourself. It must suck to have to ask someone else what's-a-matter all the time. But you'll always have your certs to make you feel better at the end of the day.
Since Fundy Dave is awol, I'll fill in. You should spend more time reading the Bible, and give up that reprobate language.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 20:43:20 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@abc.com wrote:

Certs!? hehehe. Is that what it takes to make you feel like you know something 1234? What a sorrowfull pittiful bastard. You're Nate certified? Wow! That and $1.75 will buy you a cup of coffee. Guess what? Im not Nate certified. Dont need it. Here it just means you payed another entity more of your hard earned money. When/If it were required, then I'll get it. Here I need a Masters, Journeyman and RSES. Guess what? None of those made me any better either. Its the training I choose to go to and payed attention to that made me what I am. You need to grow up. Someone put a serious Tranewashing on you. I'll put a Goodman or any other brand up against your Trane wreck any day. By the way,that radio controlled boat you have doesnt qualify as a yacht. Bite Me! Bubba
On Jul 25, 2:38pm, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Hi all.
With Goodman being the hands down low price leader; Goodman has been the #1 choice here on the coast especially since Katrina. You see them on million $ plus homes.
I have to love them because we get a great deal of service calls because of them. They are very simple to work on as you all know.
But I do prefer to work on them when they have been installed by others.
As for us installing them; we were forced to after the storm due to the low price. But we don't anymore. Payne with their package pricing is about the same price. Depending on tonage Payne can be lower in price.
Any brand can and will have problems but the one thing that keeps us from installing Goodman anymore is poor warranty parts availability. Especially coils. We have had several occasions where we had to wait up to 12 weeks for a warranty coil. On each occasion we called all the local distributors and there was not a coil to be had in the country. I have to assume that they batch their factory for efficiency and this causes the supply disruptions. If anyone knows some secret that I don't know to help us get coils quicker, I am all ears.
Bye now:

KAubert (Air-Care) wrote:

Yes. You can sell Goodmans the same way suppliers of military equipment do: with a spare-parts pack. You can specify that every system you buy from Goodman come with a box of matching parts that experience says you can be expected to replace during the warranty period: coils, compressor, etc.

I never have problem getting parts or coils for Goodman. The supply hose I deal with will take a part off a new unit if they don't have one in stock including an Air handler coil. The only problem where I had to wait almost a week was I had one condenser coil leak under warranty in almost twenty years of installations. I don't remember ever having a leak in a package unit coil that needed replaced either. And Goodman is not the cheapest either. I know Payne & Lennox's Aire-Flo brand are cheaper. There's probably a few others like Grand Air, Whirlpool,etc.. that are just as cheap.

[...]
Keith,
I have found that *most* evap coil failures have been from not having the drain properly trapped. This is especially prevelent on heat pump air handlers, and fan coils with straight electric heat. Rarely do I find rusted out, leaky coils with gas furnaces, regardless of if its trapped or not.
Steve wrote:

Rusty? The coils from Goodman I've seen [and Carrier] have plastic drain pans. No?
--
Zyp

Zyp wrote:

Older installs didn't. And I do believe that the decent ones are Fiberglass.