Generators and Electronic Furnace Controllers

Page 2 of 2
jamesgangnc posted for all of us...

How would you like to be back fed you fundy idiot?

Were these wired with two wires from the generator to the furnace or three?
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.
Rick Brandt wrote:

If you don't mind modifying the furnace controller, I'd try running the power to it through a quality line filter (not conditioner and not just surge suppresser) and locating the DC power supply on the controller and piggybacking a larger filter cap. By keeping out line noise and providing better ripple control on the DC power you might be able to convince it that the generator is ok.
Pete C.
Pete C. wrote:

Actually, that can work quite well. The cap needs to be in the 1,000 uFd range or higher and, of course rated for the voltage to be put across it, AND installed with proper polarity. I did it for my nephew, but ... I wouldn't do it for anyone else except under dire circumstances because as soon as you touch the box, you've nullified any warranty that might still exist, plus taken responsibility for any real or perceived damage to the controller<g>. Fortunately my old Wayne doesn't care.
Pop`
Circuit board off the UPS and blower off the generator? You'd have to do some serious wiring, to make sure the two powers don't meet.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Who said anything about a UPS or separating power? I didn't say that. I said to run all the power through a quality filter block (~$20 surplus) and to add an additional filter cap to the controllers DC supply. The filter keeping out spikes and hash and the extra cap reducing ripple should make the controller happier with generator power. Void the controller warranty of course.
Pete C.
Rick Brandt posted for all of us...

220 - 221 whatever it takes...

You could always try and disconnect the transformer primary leads from the board and hook them up to the UPS and see if that makes any difference. I am pretty sure that the electronics on the board are powered from the 24 volts, so geting proper power there may solve the problem. The inducer, HSI, and blower motor should not be as picky, as long as the power is anywhere near what it should be. I got curious and hooked up 24 volts to a board sitting on the bench with nothing else hooked up. After a couple of seconds it made two clicks and the status indicator gave 4 blinks. I think the clicks were the blower and inducer relays powering because the board saw an open limit-- Goodman board and I think that is what 4 blinks means on those. Other boards may be different, but it would be easy enough to try it first before going any further. Just my $.02. Larry
lp13-30 wrote:

Thank goodness somebody came up with this.... I just suffered through the whole thread and began thinking the same thing about half-way through.
I'm one of those guys who does high voltage maintenance as well as controls for a living, and I can tell you that as long as the 24v is clean... then you're good. It wouldn't take much of a filter.
Grounding is also an important issue with any system... particularly one involving an inverter. Most generators have them for voltage regulation purposes.
Grounding at the generator is NOT recommended if you use a transfer switch that only breaks hot legs and not the neutral. If your transfer switch also breaks neutral (rare for homeowners) a generator ground is REQUIRED by the NEC. In ANY circumstance you must carry the grounding conductor from the generator to the service panel. If you don't, serious hazards exist everywhere the electricity reaches.
One more thing... those that have said they 'backfeed' their main panel without the use of approved transfer switch are being stupid and could be held criminally liable if I or one of my employees gets hurt due to your generator feeding HV lines elsewhere. People have gone to jail for it... and if I find someone doing it while doing utility work I'll cut your line, pull your fuses and see that you get the power turned back on sometime in the next century. Buy a damn transfer switch!
Jake