Gasohol

Page 2 of 2
I've heard Ohio only has gasohol, now days. Might be the wave of the future, now that President Elect Oh Bomb Us is at the helm.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

The EPA's _own_ figures reluctantly confirm the drop in mileage. Their chart, which is based on a five percent (E-5) blend, shows a two percent frop in mileage. Hence an E-10 mix should, again by their optimistic figures, give a four percent kick.
(which, for those playing along at home, means a hidden price boost of that same four percent/gallon, since you have to buy more fuel).
http://www.epa.gov/otaq/rfgecon.htm
Stormin Mormon wrote:

And if Oh Bomb Us gets his way, he wants to end any off shore drilling and stop Utah exploration for oil. All will raise the cost of fuel.
--
Zyp

Don, you sure about that on Buick? Only one I know of from that era was the Olds JetFire. It was a hopped up F- 85 with an aluminun engine 215 cu in as I recall, and a turbo. They had a water/alcohol injector to try(rather unsuccessfully as I recall) to keep them from self- destructing. The whole thing was only offered for a year or two around 62-63. Larry
Lp1331 1p1331 wrote:

Supposedly the water injectors helped the burn, thus keeping the valves cooler and keeping the aluminum heads from rejecting the cobalt valve seats. And no, I am not sure about that. In those days I drove Power Iron and only read about the others. A friend of mine bought a New Olds Starfire and had it supercharged.. A couple of Texas HP run him down near Stamford Texas, and fined the shit out of him. They were driving Ford Pursuits. I gave him so much shit, he bought a big Hemi-Superbee. ;-p The water injectors were in the Buick Wildcat. It actually had a water resevior in the center counsel of the passenger compartment. I don't remember any Turbo's in the early 60's.

Corvair
Noon-Air wrote:

You are correct.. The Corvair Monza. Left a nice trail of oil to follow though.
Years ago, I read that the water spray into the carb. The water droplets are supposed to vaporize in the cylinder, account of the heat. This additional expanding water to vapor (1 to 1800 ratio, liquid to vapor) helps push you down the road.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Lessee now. Odd-Even rationing was back in 1973.
I guess that Georgia Governor's office has a lot more clout than we thought.
(and actually, odd-even did help quite a bit, since a good deal of the problem was the circularly reinforced hysteria whenever people saw a gas line.).

yeah, me and Tony

As a matter of fact, I had to wait in the damn lines
Steve wrote:

Not me. I was living in the east side of the state and worked in the West side. I either used Av gas and flew, or Drove and picked up fuel at the Ranches. We didn't have even, odd here. they just closed the stations when out of gas and all stations closed at 4:00 PM and the poor tourists were stuck where ever they ran low on gas until the next day. Truckers didn't seem to have much of a problem if they filled before 4:00 PM. Due to the farm economy..The fuel kept flowing here most of the time. I could make that 400 mile drive in 5 to 6 hours. Our interstates were perfecto in those days.

Fartikus wrote:

That's been my experience in California. When summer comes around, the milage goes down.
--
Zyp

Zyp wrote:

The hotter it gets, the better the mileage...until you turn the AC on. ;-p But also you lose more fuel to evaporation and fuel expansion won't let you get as musch real fuel in the tank.
I hope that this recession stuff doesn't hit here. Damned phone just keeps ringing with dead or wants for furnaces, fancy thermostats, and energy audits. I guess the Insulators and window/Door people are busy also. I bet even Geothermal Jones is moving lots of product right now. ;-p

wrote: snip

Turn off the phone if you dont want the work.... :)
snipped-for-privacy@home.com wrote:

Someone female has my back.. Touch that phone and I could get hurt. ;-p