gas furnaces

Page 1 of 2
All,
Kinda looking for a unit, possibly late model or even an older used unit....intent is to use a propane fired backup in the case of power fail, blower and controls would be run off a smallish generator..
Currently am using all heat pumps and so likely the unit would only very seldom be actually called into operation.
I guess my question then is :
Given the situation, what brands / vintage should I be looking for ?
Thx.
--
SVL

On Sun, 24 Dec 2006 18:44:38 -0800, "Jeffrey Lebowski"

I hear your local HVAC dealer has a whole bunch of whatever you want. Just give him a call. Bubba

fail,
I would except he is currently in jail on a murder charge.

On Mon, 25 Dec 2006 12:46:18 -0800, "Jeffrey Lebowski"

With your wife? Bubba
Hi Bubba...
This is off topic, but how to you make your posts so that they are deleted after so many days. I would like to be able to do that and I cant quite figure out how to do it.
Thanks for any help and have a nice Christmas Pat
"Note: The author of this message requested that it not be archived. This message will be removed from Groups in 6 days (Jan 2, 4:56 am)."
Bubba wrote:

Do a search on "X-no-archive" Its not a "for sure thing" that it will get deleted. I mainly do it because I think most of the shit posted in here doesnt need to be archived. I mean, c'mon. Can you imagine reading all that horseshit that Paul posts in here 10yrs from now? Especially the arguement going on now that'll probably last a month or more. Nothing like getting Pauly's panties in a bunch. Bubba

Thanks Bubba...That was it! Any post that contains the text "X-No-Archive:" either in the message headers of their post or as the very first text in the first line of the message body will be displayed on Google Groups for only seven days and won't be searchable after it's removed.
komobu wrote:

Bubba is a self admitted crook, is best to simply ignore his drivel.

Your answer is in google groups help:
http://groups.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answery18&topic%0
--
Black Dragon

CHRIST:
Thanks!!! " Any post that contains the text "X-No-Archive:" either in the message headers of their post or as the very first text in the first line of the message body will be displayed on Google Groups for only seven days and won't be searchable after it's removed."
Black Dragon wrote:

I think anytime you get the urge for backup heat you should chop & split a cord of wood. Put the women-folk to work too if they also need backup heat. Suggest you check out the double bitted axes at your favorite homo depot.
Jeffrey Lebowski wrote:

Sam, do not put someones old POS PROPANE furnace in your house. Buy a new one or forget about it.
Why not think of an alternative fuel like corn?
Power's Mechanical posted for all of us...

I used to burn waste heat. Yup
Cow manure in a paper bag flames up good - especially on doorsteps. Does smell great but ya gotta make your choices.

fail,
Mike,
Thx, that's probably pretty good advice all in all.

Well, we already do have a wood stove downstairs, as well as 2 fireplaces upstairs...main problem being that the flues are all on one end of the place, and since the residence is appx 7350 sf then very little in the way of effective convection takes place....so really would be nice to have something that could be easily connected into the existing ductwork.

Jeffrey Lebowski wrote:

I just helped a friend install a corn burner and it connects to the duct work. Then today I read in the paper that the price of corn averaged 1.85 a bushel and now its up to 3.50. They say the reason is more and more ethanol plants are coming on line and will soon have the capacity to process 84% of the states current crop. Im not sure how well its going to work out for him money wise but it heats his whole house no problem. He loves it so its whatever floats yer boat I guess. Personally I wouldnt want one. Too much hassle buying, hauling, storing, and handling corn imo. Same as wood. Nothing but a PITA.
Have you given any thought to installing a whole house generator? I saw a nice one (floor model) that I could get for 2 grand and it works on NG or propane. Comes with the transfer switch and the whole nine yards. That may be the way for you to go if all your worried about is power outages. BTW the generator was half the price of the corn burner.

very
fireplaces
way
Yeah, in my area it's wood pellets rather than corn--again, a fairly high fuel cost /btu in addition to the outlay for equipment.

I may be interested--if you have any links then would appreciate...
So far as electric capacity needed, I generally stage 2 heat pumps, ( a 5 ton along with a 3-1/2 )
Below ~ 38deg O/A then the 5 ton simply can't keep up all by itself....but since the 3-1/2 tonner is open loop ws it retains full btu capacity regardless of outdoors temp.

The generator I have was free--a fairly nice older stationary unit having remote electric start, etc but it's lacking capacity at only 4500 watts..and so kinda explains why I was thinking along the lines of adding a propane conversion to the generator, as well as then installing an older propane furnace ( with reliable HX and standing pilot) ( re-light the pilot only when it's actually needed ) onto the ductwork.
Mostly at this point though I'm just mulling over whatever options, costs, drawbacks etc. exist ...and beings could be years before I get around to doing any of the actual work ( if at all )...

[...]

I dont know what your electrical requirements would be, im not there. But generators as I described are available up to 15kw for residential use. Id think 15kw would cover it. Google Bryant home generators. The model I saw was a Bryant and it looked pretty well built. Which was surprising considering I think Bryant is not that great. Im pretty sure the one I saw was the 15kw model and they were offering it to me for 2G's. (ymmv) DL the .pdf and see if it fits your needs.

Probly they bought a boatload from China--with Bryant just doing the "final assembly"--( adding the stickers that say Bryant )
Anyways, thx for the link.

How about one that burns FREE fuel?
http://www.cleanburn.com/cbDesign.cfm

Fish,
Do you have any experience with this brand? We tried a couple once before and I was not happy with the results... very high maintenance and units being especially 'picky' about the oil..
What kinds of oil can you burn? The oil we use in the heavy diesels is much 'dirtier' after use... and some of the generator units use very high flashpoint synthetics....
Most of our waste oil comes from these two types of equipment.
I couldn't find any good info on the website... so I'd welcome your experience here...
Jake
Jake wrote:

Sorry Jake, I have zero experience with waste oil furnaces. Closest I got was a customer 5-6 years ago that thought he wanted one. It was a Jiffy Lube place.
Here's a real interesting link, a project right up Sam's alley. A waste oil burner that uses no electricity!
http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_library/ethanol_motherearth/me4.html