Gas furnace main shut-off valve

Trying to ascertain which of the three valves that lead to my ancient furnace is the main shut-off valve. I assumed that it was the valve that that is on the same line as my pilot light on/off, which is within a couple of feet of the pilot. But I can't seem to get that vavle to budge. BTW, that specific valve is somewhat rounded and the pipe runs into the wall just beyond that valve. Below that line, there are two smaller pipes that flow into a single pipe that runs into the wall, less than a foot off the floor. Both pipes have flatter valves, and both run in the same direction, more or less forming a U; one valve (larger) can be found between the two pipes and the second smaller vavle is on the top pipe, about a ffoot in from the U. Any help for a mechanically inept guy that blames this all on his mechanically inept father? Thanx for any help!
snipped-for-privacy@mac.com wrote:

    Before you begin to get flamed by the "Pros," I will suggest you not take chances with gas. There are two areas you should never guess about in my opinion. One is gas and the other is electricity. Both can jeopardize your life and that of your family. Unless you KNOW for sure about these areas, call a pro. A mistake can cost you far more than a service call.
    My field is electronics, and consequently I know much about electrical items. There ARE however many areas where I do NOT know. When I encounter these areas I call a pro. Knowing what your limitations are and your capabilities are is a smart move in my opinion. If you have a valve that is not working, get it replaced. Good luck.
snipped-for-privacy@mac.com wrote in

Why?
--
Respectfully, Bob

Just trying to re-light a pilot; I've got someone coming out tomorrow.
Thanx for the replys...
Bob_Loblaw wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@mac.com wrote:

    If you are only trying to relight the pilot, there should be no need to turn off any of the valves supplying the furnace. The regulator/valve that controls the gas to the furnace probably controls the pilot light as well. Read the instructions for lighting the pilot light on this valve to relight the pilot light.

posted for all of us...

torch - it WILL budge.

buffalo ny: a good hvac man you hire will walk you and your sharpie magic marker thru the basement gas pipes. once you have marked them all, a trip to the basement with the road signs all posted will be a pleasure. and mark electrical and plumbing, every circuit, every valve, every pipe. hang service manuals for furnaces and appliances, and spares filed upstairs in case of basement flooding.