Gas Fireplace vs. Furnace

Hi... while servicing my furnace, I fired up a Napolean GD36 gas fireplace located in my basement. I kept the Napolean on the lowest setting and didn't fire up the furnace until the next day. Over almost 24hrs., the fireplace kept the house at 71deg (upstairs -- a bit warmer downstairs) and it felt even warmer since the upstairs floor seemed warmer on the feet. It's a small 1950s bungalow, 800sq ft, insulated basement and attic.
I wonder, if my Carrier furnace burns 60,000 btus, and my Napolean is rated at 26,000 max (don't have minimum spec right now), and if I ran the fireplace on a thermostat, would it--in my case--be cheaper to heat with it?
I get this feeling that this is a stupid question.
But I have to tell you that the subjective quality of the heat seems better with the Fireplace...
Peace, Dan

Fireplaces are, generally speaking, around the 75 % efficiency level. What type of Carrier do you have?
--
Respectfully, Bob

Bob_Loblaw wrote:

I have the 58MCA which is 91%. But it seems to be oversized a bit as it doesn't run long enough for even the humidifier to do much... mind you, it's only 0deg Celcius at night around here now... I am just surprised that it may even be possible to at least have the same if not cheaper season with that little fireplace... perhaps I could just burn it and use the furnace fan to circulate / filter, humidify, etc....
I might try it for a while to see..
Peace, Dan
dantheman wrote:

Hi Dantheman, Whether you use the gas furnace or the Napoleon GD36 gas fireplace, -it will take the same amount of BTU/hr distributed into the conditioned space to heat those rooms to a specific temperature.
Too many factors enter into that equation to cover here, therefore I will only touch on a few of them.
Efficiency Ratings: Which system delivers the most Btu/hr into the rooms compared to the amount of BTUs going up the chimney; Input BTUs verses Output BTUs into the rooms? Proper Furnace Sizing or using a two stage furnace, because short cycling destroys efficient operation. An over capacity furnace will short cycle, a factor as it takes several minutes of operation each startup to get the heat exchanger warm enough to cycle the blower.
How efficient is the furnace ductwork at delivering the output BTUs into the rooms? Whether the Supply Air & Return Air are balanced, concerning Negative or Positive Pressures, will affect the rate of colder outdoor air infiltration or warm air existing the home to the outdoors.
I believe some of the Napoleon GD model gas fireplaces are rated at around 67% efficiency, that is very low compared to a 92+ gas furnace. What is the efficiency rating of your furnace as compared to the rating of the fireplace?
I like the idea that the Napoleon GD model gas fireplace will heat without any electrical power input, a great heating backup for power failures!
You do the figuring, NOT us. Good Luck, - udarrell
--
PROPER A/C UNIT & DUCTWORK Sizing is over 70% of Operating Efficiency
http://www.udarrell.com/proper_cfm_btuh_duct_sizing_air_conditioning_systems.html

Shit in a bucket next to the fireplace and you can enjoy a warm aroma too.
Oscar_Lives posted for all of us...

Keyboard claim.

dantheman posted for all of us...

What does your wife think about this? Oh sorry significant other...

Tekkie wrote:

She just likes it HOT. hehehe
Peace, Dan
Good going Dan Dido say that