Galvanizing on vent pipe flaking off

I just tested a water heater with a stack temperature or 526 deg F. About 3 lineal feet of vent pipe above the vent damper had pealing galvanizing. There does not appear to be any corrosion on the vent pipe. Is the pealing due to the stack temperature being too high?
See Pictures at: http://picasaweb.google.com/AndyEnergyWHP/GalvanizingOnVentPipeFlakingOff
Andy

526 degree stack temperature??!!
Must be one of those new-fangled high efficiency units......

Plugged chimney no doubt... Guess where all the CO is going! :(

I doubt the chimny is plugged, I did a smoke test and vent pressure and both passed.

I doubt the chimny is plugged, I did a smoke test and vent pressure and both passed.
So, are you saying the 526 degrees doesn't bother you?

..
I do not know where you got this idea that the 526 degrees does not bother me. I'm a believer of condensing water heaters with the exhaust being close to the inlet water temperature.
Too bad lesser efficient models are allowed to be made.

I do not know where you got this idea that the 526 degrees does not bother me. I'm a believer of condensing water heaters with the exhaust being close to the inlet water temperature.
Too bad lesser efficient models are allowed to be made.
There are lesser efficiency models made, because not everybody has 9 months of winter sports. There are large areas where they are just not economicaly feasable.

What does 9 months of winter have to do with the efficiency of heating potable water?

m...
When it comes to the cost to society, the higher efficiency units are the right thing to do.

I do not know where you got this idea that the 526 degrees does not bother me.
WHY don't you ask about the temp issue?

Standard water heater about 3 years old

What did you use to measure the stack temperature? And where exactly did you sample your measurements?
-zero

I have a Bachrach mod 60
The temp and CO was taken just inside the top of the flue in the tank before the vent damper.