Furnace reads 55volts on W ?!

hi.. While installing a humidifier, i discovered that this furnace is reading 55volts at W while idle and no call for heat (thermostat not even connected there either).

Older Lennox. Terminal strip sticks out of a Honeywell box. Box is buzzing pretty good.

How can i go about diagnosing this? Thank you, Dan

/Users/Dan/Desktop/Photo on 2011-02-07 at 20.24.jpg

Reply to
Martinic

Is the "Step-down transformer" inside the honeywell box? Should open it up and take some measurements inside? Okay, okay... i know... someone's gonna say "go ahead and burn the house down" lol!

If checking inside this box truly is dangerous, then just say so ;)

Thank you, Dan

Reply to
Martinic

From what i understand now (thanks to Mike), is that there should be No Voltage at all on W. I mean, i've even pulled the thermostat wire off. So... where could it come from?

Reply to
Martinic

R to C is reading 26volts.

Reply to
Martinic

I wish i could post a pic--it's actual volts, as the 26volts reads proper... in any case, should be nothing on W at all?

Reply to
Martinic

BIG UPDATE: I have woken up in the middle of the night and was just speaking and explaining some things i've learned to the homeowner. In her half-sleep, i suddenly get this comment:

"Oh--that furnace used to blow the fuse all the time until the new electrical panel was installed."

OMG!! This is so major. She used to have an old panel with the old fuses and now has a circuit-breaker new one. In any case, this

55volts on W must have been around for smoe time. Not sure why circuit breaker isn't catching it--this could also be an issue. New panel was installed by a professional, btw.

I think i should call somebody over! But first.. i'm gonna take off the transformer and look inside (power off) and see if there isn't something obvious... well.. obvious to you guys, anyway.

Gonna copy this to the new thread. Not sure why i started that one. Boy.. it's 4am.

[...]

I hope your liability insurance is paid current.... home owners don't much like it when some idiot hack burns their house down.

Reply to
Steve

FYI: I am not a hack nor am i an idiot--sorry to disappoint :)

I'm just inexperienced in this field and quite a bit ignorant. And you're right: nobody really likes a house burnt down, unless it's your ex-wife's. So i think this time, i'll avoid doing that.

:Dan

Reply to
Martinic

Not even then, if you're still paying for it. And she was out shopping at the time. Or if you left your good golf clubs in the garage.

Reply to
.p.jm.

malrescuesite.com/

Ain't that the truth.. out shopping.. with your money. You're already poor; at least you'd get to see her freeze for a few days trying to find a place to stay since her new bf doesn't want her over (his wife would find out) LOL!

:Dan

Reply to
Martinic

Go away.