furnace question for HVAC guru's....

Folks:

I would like to ask your opinion on this matter, as you all know a lot more about this stuff than I do. I've got a 15yr old Lennox furnace that works well, but needs the blower/fan unit replaced. I was quoted a price of $975 for this, labor and tax included. The furnace, I thought, was 80% efficiency, but the estimator guy told me it's actually 60%. Other than the fact that it's noisy right now (hence the need for the repair), it has been working well.

The guy suggested I think about replacing it due to its age. He gave me a price on the top of the line Lennox (G61V) for $5688. My house is around 3200 square feet and I live in Pennsylvania.

What do you folks think of this? Seems expensive to me, but I guess over some period of time I'll save money due to the increased efficiency. On the other hand, the old furnace has worked well up to now. I believe the company to be reputable.

I am anxious to hear your opinions. Thank you for educating me.

Reply to
coylerj

Wow, thousand bucks for a blower motor? I've definitely got to raise my rates.

How about make a couple more calls, and see what other prices you get? A grand for a blower motor sounds a bit high to me. Five grand for a heat only furnace also sounds high.

Two hundred bucks sounds like a lot of money for a motor. But, that makes for about $800 markup and labor on the job. Wish I could get that kind of price. I'd make a couple more phone calls.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

A noisy furnace is most often caused by a faulty pinion valve. Just have him replace that and be done with it.

Reply to
Al Moran

Why not try the obvious? Look for 2 more estimates/opinions from companies that you would consider having replace/repair your system and then decide for yourself. I mean, c'mon. What'd, you think we own a crystal ball or something? Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

What corners is he cutting to offer it to you at such a low price?

If this is for real, you better jump on this opportunity. These are good furnaces, and the price he quoted is about 2/3 or what they go for around here.

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

Yeah, that should get you up to $10 hr now.

and maybe you just dont have the slightest clue on how to charge for anything? Maybe thats why you always had your boss with you.

Maybe thats why you live in a trailer and dont have two pennies to rub together? Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Sorry I asked. I thought I would get a reasonable response.

Reply to
rick

Reply to
Bubba

so who responded to your call for service, an estimator or a service tech? sounds to me like you got a salesman.

Salesman/estimator determines blower motor is bad, needs replacement, quotes $975 for a $500 job.

Then states that a 15 yr old 80% furnace is actually at 60% (utter horseshit), and quotes a $5688 replacement.

Fact: your furnace has a manufacturers label on it, listing model number, btu input, bonnet capacity or btu output, and other important data. From that label any moron capable of simple math can determine the efficiency of that furnace.

A company can be extremely reputable, and still employ disreputable employees. Suggest you get 2-3 other opinions from local heating & ac contractors.

Reply to
gofish

They're always hostile to homeowners asking questions but they have a point that it would be hard to say what would be a fair price in your area. Get a couple more estimates and post what you found out. Since it seems likely they'll be less the next person reading will have an "ah ha" moment and go get several estimates before even asking the question.

Before anyone else has to say it I will point out that the lowest price even on the same item is not always the best value since there may be substantial differences in expertise, installation workmanship, parts inventory and willingness to stand behind the product not to mention coming to the rescue if something craps out when it's a holiday weekend and below zero temps.

Reply to
Steve Kraus

God damn at least someone is catchin on. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

A brand new furnace would cost less than that and a new basic single stage

+90% furnace should be no more than $2500 installed.
Reply to
Roy

Try HVAC-Talk . com

They love to answer questions like this one!

Reply to
tech

Never ever try and get a deal. Always look for the most competent company to install your equipment. 5600 is a little high. Do you have AC also?

15 years and a large repair would indicate to me that a new furnace is in line.

What part of PA

Reply to
Bob Pietrangelo

You are nuts! A good 90% furnace installed will be at least 3K probably more, unless your some shmuck that doesn't plan on having a business verylong, or are using your bosses trucks and material, or really shitty equipment with a really shitty install.

Reply to
Bob Pietrangelo

Hey you stupid tin basher.......I just love the way you guys try to justify your

90 percent mark up by claim>
Reply to
no one that you know

You won't find me installing a 90+ for $2500

Does that make mine a rip off too?

union......what

Reply to
tech

Wow! This is definitely one of those idiots dumber than the slime under a rock. Obviously pissed because he was WAY TOO STUPID to figure out how to change his dirty filter so he had a tech come out and do it for $100. Man O Man. Must suck to be you. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Instead of him just shooting off his mouth, I will extend the same offer I gave to Paul.... come on down here and work with me for a couple of days. Learn *WHY* I charge what I do.

Time to put up or shut up.

Reply to
Noon-Air

Reply to