furnace question for HVAC guru's....

Page 4 of 5

Hey Noon-air, you are not as dumb as you look.
But in this case you are wrong

Not here, call the inspector yourself at 604 660-6286 ask for Scott
The sad fact is most inspectors are woefully ignorant of mechanical codes. More than one has admitted to me they didn't know the code regarding HVAC very well. They generally tend to have one or two things that are hot buttons for them. Like is there enough combustion air. Or is clearance to combustibles maintained. And it would be rare to have an inspector who checked for both of those items.
BTW, tech is right on the drip leg. the drip leg is supposed to be "as close to the appliance as practical".

All things come to him who waits... As
long as he works like hell while he waits.

the
in
of
so
replaced.
Do you not live on planet EARTH?
What don't you get about IMC, IBC, IEBC, IFC, IFGC, IRC, IPC, NEC, or other mechanical codes???????????
They include YOU!!!
tech wrote:

Local codes can superceed state and national codes in some cases depending on the local. Maybe thats the case here. Get over it and move along.
Arent you the one telling everyone that hvac-talk welcomes homeowners? What happened did the Boss ban your ass? Do you think its ok to act like a dick here because thats what you see? This dump aready has its quota of dicks. I can let you know when there is an opening.
In others words shut the fuck up newboy. You dont know what the hell youre rambling about.

show
em? ---

asked
described
either
sure
when it

directional.
Otherwise
mention
now. So

upstream
furnace
not
INSTALL
Local codes can be stricter than International codes, but they don't relieve the International codes. In other words, they should still be followed.

That would be me.

Ban, LOL, that's funny. Why do you ask, are you writing a book?

Do you say something intelligent?
In other words, if I wanted your input I would have ask for it. But since I didn't ask for it, FUCK YOU whiner!
tech wrote:

Sould and mandatory are two different things jack.

No Im not writing a book. You seem bitter so if the Boss didnt ban your nasty self then you must be out of work or your wife dumped you or your cat bit your nutsack or something. I bet the Boss banned you...

You dont have to ask me for input. I give it when I feel like it so you need to learn to deal with it.
Now back to you.

even
when
cosmetics, in

He
tape
International
will
worth
Scott
relieve
Codes are to be followed not ignored, so there you have it. Do we want to do things the right or fly by the seat of our pants? I'd rather not lose a law suit because I knowingly did things wrong, but by all means, knock yourself out and think like a hack!

Well see, you're wrong on another subject as well. Doesn't surprise me, you seem to talk out of your ass.

since I

Deal with what, inaccurate facts from a hack that thinks he's a professional. I deal with company's that have your attitude each and every day. It's called repairing the shit they screwed up, condemned and/or can't figure out. To bad you can't read and comprehend, you might actually learn something if you slowed down and think for a change. Must suck to you.

<snip>
Not meaning to literally jump in-between you and Mike, however it comes down to this exact phrase that makes the dollar and the world go round;
#1)_"local authority having jurisdiction"_
...and to cover all other litigation;
#2)_"Installed according to manufacturers Instructions"_
This is what is talked about amongst the Polo shirts in the SUVs, while the blue shirts in the pick-ups and vans talk about any/all codes, pussy and the best practices to install something. Not in all cases though. The experienced blue shirts understand the SUV talk as the years go along, but most do not, but that's OK. It still results in very good field work.
Then, when the time is right (learned the above #1 & #2) you'll have a blue shirt become a very qualified job foreman, who knows the right way to install the job AND complete the job within budget and not have to do the job over. Oh, the polo shirts like to hang around the blue shirts for a few minutes every day to talk about pussy and old job war stories.
Add or correct as needed, still on firs cup of coffee. 8-)
-zero

Talked with a neighbor who is a licensed gas fitter and he says it is acceptable to share the drip leg with HW and furnace. Also mentioned that any crud in there would be long gone after 20+ years.

show
em? ---

asked
described
either
sure
directional.
upstream
furnace
Once again, you are incorrect. Right out of an installation manual I quote:
"Drip Leg and Union, Union should be outside the cabinet. Manual shut-off valve MUST be upstream of dripleg, union, and furnace" "Use ground joint unions and install a drip leg no less than 3" long to trap dirt and moisture before it can enter gas valve"
I suppose your buddy doesn't know that gas contains moisture. His comment about "crud" shows he should read up on his own trade.
I also guess your buddy "so called gas-fitter" has never saw a drip leg full of oil on a natural gas system? I have, it happens and this was on an old system.
I also quote IFGC:
"408.4 Sediment trap. Where a sediment trap is not incorporated as part of the gas utilization equipment, a sediment trap
shall be installed downstream of the equipment shutoff valve as
CLOSE TO THE INLET OF THE EQUIPMENT AS PRACTICAL. The sediment
trap shall be either a tee fitting with a capped nipple in the bottom
opening of the run of the tee or other device approved as an
effective sediment trap. Illuminating appliances, ranges,
clothes dryers and outdoor grills need not be so equipped."
You definitely didn't pay enough. What a joke.

All things come to him who waits... As
long as he works like hell while he waits.

"Holesaw? Hell naw! We got one-um dare Saw's-All's!" :-)
-zero
guru's is the posessive form. Guru's what? Guru's dog? Guru's computer program?
gurus is the plural form. More than one guru.
Anyhow, I did have a glance at that slide show. My sense is that install wasn't really done in accorance with the instructions. I saw a couple things wrong, and I'm sure other folks will see more than I saw.
Christopher A. Young You can't shout down a troll. You have to starve them. .
http://tinyurl.com/pbtlt

In a prior post you claimed we made $1300 per day. Now it's $2400 per day.
There are 2 major differences between auto mechanics and what we do. First, the vehicle is brought to the mechanic. His labor efficiency is darned near 100%.
Second, every vehicle he works on has been made by a manufacturer and is virtually identical to every other vehicle that's the same model. We work on systems that are manufactured on site with wide variations in site and consumer needs.
Most auto shops charge flat rate. The actual labor rate is about double the posted rate. If they're charging by the hour you can bet they're not providing much in the way of pay or benefits for their employees. The employees are the first in line to get screwed by employers not charging enough followed closely by customers.

All things come to him who waits... As
long as he works like hell while he waits.
"Roy" wrote:

Roy, you can bullshit yourself all you want, but do try to get your facts and figures straight if you're going to try to bullshit us.
Figuring 8 hr days @ 5 days a week, your furnace guy has to work 1/2 of the month just to pay his monthly lease. Forget payroll for those two weeks. Now in your part of the world, maybe thats called making a living.
For the record, why dont you post your furnace installers total expenses for the month & total income for the month.
Until then, you're about as credible as the stormin moron. BTW, he's not your furnace guy is he?

What lease? He operates from his house and passenger van.

Well since I'm not him I can't do that but I could estimate: Income: 3 installs at $2900 each $8700 15 service calls @ 150 ea $2250 Total $10950
Expenses: Gas $200 Depreciation $200 (uses van for both personal and business) Tool replacement $100 3 furnaces $3000 Parts/supplies for 3 furnace installs $600 Parts for 15 service calls (50 x 15) $750 Total $4750
Net income $6150
Not too shabby for maybe 8 days work a month

Try $125-$150 a week. Let's add about another $100 a month for tires, repair, oil changes, etc.

A van is $25-$30k and good for maybe 5 years. That's $400-$500 a month.

Double that.

This is way low, but let's let it stand.

$1000 a month insurance $500 a month minimum rent $150 cell and land line $500 month advertising $500-$1000 month misc exp - uniforms, office equipment and supplies, postage
So the one man show makes, using your numbers, $3500 gross per month. Less the FICA & MC your employer pays that's just over $3200. Probably averages a minimum of 50 hours a week (60 or more if he's like most small business owners) and that's a whopping $16/hr. Or $20 if the lucky SOB only works 40 a week.
Now he might like to take a couple weeks vacation a year. Probably would like to get at least 5 holidays and might even be sick 5 days a year. So he nets: $3200 a month equals $800 a week. But he's only working 48 weeks so he grosses $38,400 a year or a real gross of about $740 a week. Less than $15 an hour at 50 hours a week. Plus no OT pay not to mention nothing other than SS for retirement.
Would you want the risks for this sort of benefit?
--
All things come to him who waits... As
long as he works like hell while he waits.

No, because he's making $25 plus an hour (with no headaches). LOL