furnace question for HVAC guru's....

Page 3 of 5

ROFLMAO.................................You got what you paid for!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 21:13:42 -0400, "Bob Pietrangelo"

I bet he didn't even get a reach around.

Work like that has got to make a guy proud.
He will be lucky if the one-man hacker doesn't see these pics on the world wide web and file a libel/slander suit against him for displaying this work.

complete
That's not much better:
Used old gas cock No required drip leg Union is installed wrong PVC hangers, they add a nice touch :-( Did he rub half of them in the mud before installing them? Cuts stud to run condensate, true sign of a hack! What's up with the vent terminations? Sheet metal must look like shit, the aluminum pressure tape sure does. :-(
Do I need to go on? I think not, come back in a few months when it breaks down so we can say "we told ya so" LOL

Drain trap?? we don' need no steenkin trap.

Yes, I want to hear it all
Thanks for the comments, see mine in your text
Nothing seriously wrong though.

Required by gas code... national and international codes supercede local codes.

Doesn't make it right

Again... check the code books.

That doesn't make it right... check the code books

With all that tape covering all the mistakes, the tin knocker must have used a hatchet

Real simple... you didn't get what you didn't pay for.

Hear this... I would be ashamed to have any responsibility or claim to that particular installation. You can get the job done, or you can get the job done well. You seem to be real proud of your crappy install. I would be real interested to hear what the inspector had to say...You DID have a permit and got it inspected, didn't you?? I guess not... You got your moneys worth and you seem bent on defending it even though you got ripped off. Now go play outside.
*PLONK*

breaks
Sorry, but the drip leg is not a local code. It's a International Mechanical Code. That means you must have one to up to code! Union is not a convenience matter, they are considered directional.
Right there are two code violations. To me that is serious. Otherwise why have codes if one isn't going to follow them?
Noon-Air is also correct about the drain trap. I was going to mention it, but many manufactures are installing them inside the furnaces now. So if there isn't one, that needs to be addressed also.
This is a safety issue!

Called inspector today. Had another look and the drip leg is upstream of the gas connection to the furnace. It serves BOTH water heater and furnace so is ok as is. Union is fine as is. Gas shutoff does not need to be replaced. I guess all that's left is the cosmetics of the transition which will not affect performance anyways. I'm happy and it's certainly not worth another $1600 to remedy those minor cosmetics issues.

You sound like a proud consumer! I'm sure you are getting your money's worth.
baahhhaaaabahahhhhhahahaha!

does.
why
it,
the
is
Hey DIPSHIT, the drip leg is to be after the shut off, BY CODE!
I didn't mention it because it's ok, I mentioned it BECAUSE YOUR INSTALL is done AGAINST CODES!!!
That makes it something that needs to be addressed. Whether you like it or not is completely another issue. Are we to do things right and correct, or do whatever we can get away with? Don't try to reason with the choices your installer made, he and yourself are wrong!
But while we're at it, since your so fucking smart, why didn't you do this installation yourself and save the $1200 you paid him to install your furnace?

He didn't call any inspector, or pull any permits. and as far an "installer", he did it himself. He is just looking for somebody to justify what he did, was not against the law.

Even if what he did was not against the law, it certainly is against moral and natural law, especialy if he has an innocent wife and/or children living in the house.
Its OK by me if he wants to burn himself up or O2 himself to permanent sleep, but I do get concerned that there may be other innocent people involved.

It's legal to do here and also ok with insurance company as long as a permit/inspection are done: (not that I agree with it)
http://www.qp.gov.bc.ca/statreg/reg/S/103_2004.htm#section24
"Homeowner may perform work under a permit 24 (1) A homeowner may apply for an installation permit to perform regulated work with respect to gas equipment in a fully detached dwelling if
(a) no person is being paid to do, or assist the owner in doing, the work, and
(b) no part of the dwelling is rented to any person.
(2) Section 26 does not apply to a homeowner who performs regulated work under this section."

furnace
not
INSTALL
it
correct,
moral
regulated
So under what section says it's ok to disregard IMC, IBC, IEBC, IFC, IFGC, IRC, IPC, NEC, or other mechanical codes???????????

Well that too.... I was refering to the simple fact that codes are LAWS..... some places they are enforced, some places not. Regardless, if it doesn't meet code, permits were not pulled, not inspected, then its illegal. Consider that 99% of *ALL* laws on the books (no matter how stupid they sound) are there because somebody actually DID IT with the resulting loss of life, limb, and/or property.
Noon-Air posted for all of us... I don't top post - see either inline or at bottom.

Only if the local authority makes them so...
--
Tekkie

They are still laws.... whether they are enforced is another story. Like I tell some of the folks around here....."I have yet to see a code book that says "International Building Code except for Lamar County, Mississippi, USA" and the same goes for the NEC" etc.

USA"
Some people just don't get it Noonie, they'd rather perform shortcuts so they can lower their bid to get the job.

FYI, Building codes have to be adopted by state and/or local entities to be in effect. CA was very slow in adopting past electrical codes, years late. I remember taking code classes and learning that the codes being taught were not even in effect for the state. Some of the local jurisdictions did adopt before the state and enforced them locally though.
Joseph