furnace question for HVAC guru's....

Page 1 of 5
Folks:
I would like to ask your opinion on this matter, as you all know a lot more about this stuff than I do. I've got a 15yr old Lennox furnace that works well, but needs the blower/fan unit replaced. I was quoted a price of $975 for this, labor and tax included. The furnace, I thought, was 80% efficiency, but the estimator guy told me it's actually 60%. Other than the fact that it's noisy right now (hence the need for the repair), it has been working well.
The guy suggested I think about replacing it due to its age. He gave me a price on the top of the line Lennox (G61V) for $5688. My house is around 3200 square feet and I live in Pennsylvania.
What do you folks think of this? Seems expensive to me, but I guess over some period of time I'll save money due to the increased efficiency. On the other hand, the old furnace has worked well up to now. I believe the company to be reputable.
I am anxious to hear your opinions. Thank you for educating me.
Wow, thousand bucks for a blower motor? I've definitely got to raise my rates.
How about make a couple more calls, and see what other prices you get? A grand for a blower motor sounds a bit high to me. Five grand for a heat only furnace also sounds high.
http://www.cozyparts.com/Lennox-Parts/ProductInfo.aspx?productid H39
Two hundred bucks sounds like a lot of money for a motor. But, that makes for about $800 markup and labor on the job. Wish I could get that kind of price. I'd make a couple more phone calls.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

Yeah, that should get you up to $10 hr now.

and maybe you just dont have the slightest clue on how to charge for anything? Maybe thats why you always had your boss with you.

Maybe thats why you live in a trailer and dont have two pennies to rub together? Bubba
On 18 Aug 2006 14:24:25 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@anes.upmc.edu wrote:

A noisy furnace is most often caused by a faulty pinion valve. Just have him replace that and be done with it.
On 18 Aug 2006 14:24:25 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@anes.upmc.edu wrote:

Why not try the obvious? Look for 2 more estimates/opinions from companies that you would consider having replace/repair your system and then decide for yourself. I mean, c'mon. What'd, you think we own a crystal ball or something? Bubba
Sorry I asked. I thought I would get a reasonable response.

Jesus H Christ! How fuckin stupid are you? You cant even comprehend when you get a reasonable answer. GET A COUPLE OTHER ESTIMATES! That is the ONLY way you will even begin to know if you are getting a "deal" or getting fucked. Do you understand that when you post a question in here you are asking people about a price from one end of the globe to the other. Pricing means NOTHING in here. Get a couple esimates and watch the wide difference in pricing you get in just your little small corner of the city. Now, come in here and start asking guys from all over the globe about pricing and see the huge differences you get. Are you starting to catch on? Now take your pissy attitude and stick it up your ass. Bubba

Never ever try and get a deal. Always look for the most competent company to install your equipment. 5600 is a little high. Do you have AC also?
15 years and a large repair would indicate to me that a new furnace is in line.
What part of PA
They're always hostile to homeowners asking questions but they have a point that it would be hard to say what would be a fair price in your area. Get a couple more estimates and post what you found out. Since it seems likely they'll be less the next person reading will have an "ah ha" moment and go get several estimates before even asking the question.
Before anyone else has to say it I will point out that the lowest price even on the same item is not always the best value since there may be substantial differences in expertise, installation workmanship, parts inventory and willingness to stand behind the product not to mention coming to the rescue if something craps out when it's a holiday weekend and below zero temps.
On Sat, 19 Aug 2006 17:46:42 GMT, Steve Kraus

God damn at least someone is catchin on. Bubba

What corners is he cutting to offer it to you at such a low price?
If this is for real, you better jump on this opportunity. These are good furnaces, and the price he quoted is about 2/3 or what they go for around here.
snipped-for-privacy@anes.upmc.edu wrote:

so who responded to your call for service, an estimator or a service tech? sounds to me like you got a salesman.
Salesman/estimator determines blower motor is bad, needs replacement, quotes $975 for a $500 job.
Then states that a 15 yr old 80% furnace is actually at 60% (utter horseshit), and quotes a $5688 replacement.
Fact: your furnace has a manufacturers label on it, listing model number, btu input, bonnet capacity or btu output, and other important data. From that label any moron capable of simple math can determine the efficiency of that furnace.
A company can be extremely reputable, and still employ disreputable employees. Suggest you get 2-3 other opinions from local heating & ac contractors.

A brand new furnace would cost less than that and a new basic single stage +90% furnace should be no more than $2500 installed.

You are nuts! A good 90% furnace installed will be at least 3K probably more, unless your some shmuck that doesn't plan on having a business verylong, or are using your bosses trucks and material, or really shitty equipment with a really shitty install.
Hey you stupid tin basher.......I just love the way you guys try to justify your 90 percent mark up by claiming a better install than the the honest guy down the street. Here where I live furnace installers belong to the tin bashers union......what does that tell ya? Ya I suppose a guy/kid could do a bad job but it wouldnt' be such a big deal if we were not pay rip off prices for an install of a piece of tin. THE BIGGEST MISTAKE IN THE HISTORY OF MAN WAS LETTING YOU GUY"S GO TO SCHOOL AND CALLING YOU TECHS! Oh and ps. Did you guys know you are the 2nd most hated on new build next to framers for shit work and damage caused during an install. No of course you didn't because you all are sitting here on usenet with your heads up your ass.
Bob Pietrangelo wrote:

You won't find me installing a 90+ for $2500
Does that make mine a rip off too?

stage
On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 02:05:02 GMT, no one that you know

Wow! This is definitely one of those idiots dumber than the slime under a rock. Obviously pissed because he was WAY TOO STUPID to figure out how to change his dirty filter so he had a tech come out and do it for $100. Man O Man. Must suck to be you. Bubba

Instead of him just shooting off his mouth, I will extend the same offer I gave to Paul.... come on down here and work with me for a couple of days. Learn *WHY* I charge what I do.
Time to put up or shut up.
What filter? Oh ya I remember now! The stupid tin basher installed my furnace with the 21 inch long filter facing a concrete wall 12 inches away.
Bubba wrote:

Why 3k, the furnace costs about $1000, materials maybe $200 so you make $1300 for less than a days work. I just had one done for approx $2400 (not Goodman) including a 10 year warranty. Easy access (bsmt) and 2 x 20' 2" PVC. He said he normally charges $2900 but business was slow in the summer.