Furnace Problems - Blowing cold air - Please help

Page 1 of 2
Hey guys,
I know nothing about how the furnace or heating work in general, but I will try to explain my problem and I hope someone will be able to help me out.
So here we go... I turned on the heating this morning, set it to like 25 degrees celsia, while outside was like 5 above zero and our gas Furnace (maker: Clare) seemed to go on, but after a little while I realized it is blowing only a cold air. So I went to basement and checked the furnace pilot. It was on and burning.
I thought maybe furnace needs to be reset, so I turned off furnace power switch, waited couple minutes, then turned it back on, but it's a same problem. Pilot is on, but that coil in the furnace where gas goes to burn never fires up.
Anyhow, so I checked our air filters and there was a lot of dust on it... and I mean a lot... so I cleaned it properly, put it back, but when I turned air filter box on, that little led light doesn't light up and I can't recall if it did before or not. But before I could always hear like little sparks from this air filter and now it seems completely dead.
I wonder if the air filter and the fact that it might be damaged could somehow affect the furnace itself.
Please tell me what else I can try. I am no longer sure what is going on. Not sure if I should call a furnace repair man, or electrician or if there is anything else I can try.
Joe
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Hi, Since your furnace has pilot, I assuem it's little older one. When you move the thermostat to desired temp. it sends 24 volt AC signal from W terminal to furnace which will actuate gas main valve, when gas flows pilot will ignite it and after certain delay(letting heat builds up) fan comes on. New ones make sure flame is on before letting fan come on. So it looks like your termosta is not sending that signal to the furnace or the valve is not responding to the signal. Do you see 24V AC across valve terminal?
Tony Hwang wrote:

You are helarious Tony! ROFL
Like man, I'm confused! What the *f* is a "termosta?" Didn't know you could actually *see* voltage unless you use a meter. And what's *25 degrees celsia?* You guys are so *f'in* funny. ROFL
--
Zyp

Zyp wrote:

Hmmm, Is it full moon? Adjusting answers to the level of question is a part of learning process. The garble is not my fault. Internet is acting up today.

IF you think this is funny... go to home repair and read the replies there.
A few posters are telling him to change the thermocouple. LMAO
Didn't you know? Termosta is Italian for frozen ice desert. Voltage comes in different colors. Vacs are one color, ohms are another, and.... never mind.
--

Christopher A. Young
.

"Zyp" < snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com> wrote in message

The guy hasn't a clue, yet you think he knows how to correctly check for voltage at the valve? He might as well change the stat...
Look for a very pale shade of green to tell if you're seeing 24 vacs.
--

Christopher A. Young
.

"Tony Hwang" < snipped-for-privacy@shaw.ca> wrote in message
On Sat, 13 Oct 2007 10:29:04 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Joe, You are on the right track. If your furnace is not working, you should always call an electrician first. However, first, first, you should replace your thermostat. Also, whenever you have any electrical problems (especially in your main panel) you should always call a furnace repairman first. Just like you call the plumber whenever you have a toothache. If none of that works, Call Stormy the local idiot. Bubba

Correction, you *never were* sure of what was going on.

Hell, I'd call in a plumber, maybe a housekeeper.

We got some fucking problems right off the bat.
1) Celsia (sic) is a gay way of saying Celsius, which is a gay way of measuring temperature.
2) A "Clare" furnace? Way fucking gay.
So I went to basement and

FYI
Clare Bros furnaces were manufactured in Cambridge Ontario Canada, from approx 1854 until around 1990 when they were taken over by Dettson.
Ted Clare designed one of the first Hi-Eff furnaces in Canada. Ted Clare was a very close friend of mine and he passed away this past September.
If Ted were still working, and had read about this guy's problem he would have driven to this guy's house and fixed the problem himself. That is the kind of person he was.
He WAS NOT a smug, self-important, going no where service tech witha smart mouth.
Alt.hvac continues to be a very poor reflection of the state of the HVACR industry.
Mike Cahill

Mike Cahill wrote:

That's nice Mike, but today is not like yesterday [unfortunately]. People will take what ever they can get for as cheap as they can get it. And then, complain about it. Either costs too much, wasn't a well made piece and not worth what they paid.
There still are HVAC Tech's all over the world who appreciate those customers who respect and appreciate them. And are willing to go the extra mile to for a appreciative customer.
Not many would crawl into a hot miserable attic to fix somthing they didn't originally install and listen to complaints about how they're being ripped.
I can appreciate "old school" but today's a different kinda world with a different kinda people.
--
Zyp

Good for Ted. However, posts like the OP's are proof that stupid people still exist.

I haven't seen any one get any real help here. I wonder if that unit has an air switch? If it doesn't sense the blowersending air over the heat exchanger it won't fire.

I wonder if you have a clue
You have to ask? I decided several minutes ago.
--

Christopher A. Young
.

"Noon-Air" < snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net> wrote in message

What a damn genius, you frickin nailed it! If you need a job I heard Stormy is hiring a helper.
Pay top dollar for guys like that. I like a tech with creative thinking. Doesn't matter if it fixes the problem, as long as the thinking is creative.
--

Christopher A. Young
.

<Old Hvac Dude> wrote in message
in message

creative.
That's why you like yourself so much...
You fix nothing, yet you come up with fiction statements to *try* and cover your tracks.