Furnace not igniting (Comfortmaker RPJ II - electronic igniter)

Page 1 of 2
I have a Comfortmaker RPJ II gas furnace with an electronic igniter (no standing pilot light). The furnace and the fan come on when signaled by the thermostat but the furnace does not light. No flames come out of the burners. I've tested this with two different thermostats thinking our old thermostat was not turning on the furnace. But you can hear it come on. Any ideas what else would keep the burners from lighting/ not igniting? or what the problem may be? There is no smell of gas. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
On 27 Oct 2006 17:56:42 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

You need a new thermostat. You just got a bad one. Bubba
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Hi, If it's electronic ignitor(Piezo electric) You can hear it when it's activated. Zap, zap, click, click kinda sound. If you don't hear it then ignitor module could e bad. There are many things which can malfunction. What is trouble code?

Piezo electric ignition in a gas furnace???? Did you know you have to push the button every time it calls for heat? I found some replacements for you. http://web.ivenue.com/allparts/productCat77269.ctlg
The model # of the furnace is GNJ050N12D1. I don't hear the zap, click sound which used to come before the sound of flames. A previous post mentioned a trouble code? Where can I check that? I don't think it's the thermostat. I replaced my old one thinking that was the problem. But with the new thermostat the exact same thing happens: the furnace and fan come on, but the furnace doesn't ignite.

Did you polarize the thermostat when you installed it? Comfortmaker needs the thermostat polarized and sync'ed with the controller board before it will work correctly.
Oscar_Lives wrote:

Thanks for the reply. Can you tell me how to polarize and sync the thermostat or is special equipment required?
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Hi, He is trolling. Trouble code is blinking LED thru small glass window. Count the blinks to come up with a code. Like ... . will be 31. Either you have a manual or a sheet with list of code is on the cover panel usually.

I didn't see any LED signals. There isn't a list of codes anywhere on the furnace either. After more trouble shooting I'm thinking it's the igniter. Usually the first thing you hear is the click-zap sound of the electric igniter. That no longer happens. Can a non-professional like me replace this part or try to service it?
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Hi, If you can see if the module is getting power when it needs to activate. If it gets proper power and nothing happens(no sparksO, then module is a suspect. Problem is the module like that is often non-returnable once you buy it. So unless absolutely sure, it's a gamble. But it's known to fail.
Tony Hwang wrote:

Hi, It could be main control logic board as well.(the part which controls the ignitor-probably a relay(mechanical or solid state)

It could also be one of the many safeties that is keeping the furnace from firing. Sure you don't want to call a tech and get it properly checked and serviced??
As Steve reminds you, there are many reasons why a furnace would fail to fire. If you just go replacing parts, it could easily cost more than having the repair guy out.
You tried thermostat, and that didn't help. The next part(s) you replace may be both expensive and unnecessary. At this point in time, best to call the repairman. Before the weather gets colder, and the rate schedule goes from "fall" to "winter".
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

It could be caused by Jupiter not being properly aligned with mars. I think that the real problem though is that the thermostat has somehow detected daylight savings time early and has gotten its time stamp sequence out of whack.
posted for all of us...

OH NOOOOOOOO will this create a black hole or cause a KABOOM?

Tony Hwang posted for all of us...

It could be a lot of things couldn't it Tony? Except you don't have a clue!

Tony Hwang posted for all of us...

And Tony how does he see that? Flux capacitor?

On 27 Oct 2006 20:25:42 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Tony might be guessing since he seems to be mentioning every part on your furnace. Do what Oscar says and try polarizing your thermostat. Get a small jumper wire and with power applied to your furnace, briefly jumper the R & C terminals together at the furnace 7 times. Bubba

Wrong, wrong, wrong, you have to jump C to R or the daylight savings time time stamp sequence feature will go all haywire.
Ah, the art of internet diagnosis. The answer in general terms is that people who can do something just go ahead and do it. The fact you're asking tells us that it's beyond your skill level.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.