Furnace inducer motor squealing

Bought this house last June. Had the furnace inspected; tech said it was OK. Furnace is pretty old; it's a carrier 58ssb080-bc. (Though tech said it had some new parts put in, so maybe it would last a few seasons.)

The inducer motor squeals for a minute or two when it first comes on. It's worse the longer the furnace has been off.

Would it be worth it to have this part replaced as preventive maintenance, or is the squealing not that big a deal? It doesn't get that cold here (I'm in metro DC area), but the wife wouldn't be very happy if we were w/o heat for a couple days waiting for the repair.

Reply to
woger151

If you have to ask, it probably needs to be replaced. If your tech is sharp, and its a commopn part to fail on that series of furnaces, he will probably have one on the truck. If not, then you might want to have the model and serial number handy for him when you call.

Reply to
Noon-Air

Just make the wife squeal and everything will be ok.

Reply to
ftwhd

Listen to Noonie;

That model by Carrier is over the 18 year mark...

Reply to
Zyp

I've had no-heat calls from folks who neglected the inducer fan. And I'm just a beginner tech. Yes, I'd suggest the service call. Due to global warming, it's gonna be killer cold this year. I can't believe I wrote that with a straight face. Well, you're in Washington, so you'll believe it, too.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Lipstick ?

Reply to
Bipolar Bear

Replace the inducer and the wife. (Not necessarily in that order)

Reply to
HVAC

Thanks, folks, for all the very quick advice!!

Reply to
woger151