Furnace fires back up after set temperature reached

Page 1 of 2
Hello, I'm hoping someone might be able to help me with a problem I'm having with my furnace.I have a natural gas Furnace/AC unit that's only about 9 years old. When in the heat mode I've noticed that after the desired temperature is met the gas cuts off while the blower still runs (normal), and then a couple seconds later the gas starts to fire back up again even when the thermostat reads the desired temp. Often it will do this three times in a row. Since the unit only fires up when told to do so I assumed it was the thermostat. I changed the unit and have the same problem. I then traced the wires to the board (White- Rodgers) thinking the wiring may have been wrong but were fine as well. Not only is it annoying hearing the unit constantly re-fire, I'd imagine it's not helping my heating bill and has to reduce the lifespan of the unit.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Rob

Sounds like it broken to me, what did your favorite local tech tell you??

I haven't spoken to a local tech yet, I was hoping this might have been a more common issue that I was overlooking.To clarify, the furnace does turn off at the set temperature it just starts and stops a couple times before doing so. Thanks.

Noonie knows exactly what this unit is doing and knows how to diagnose it...
...but, he's telling you to have someone that's trained look at it.
You ask WHY?
Because he also knows that the general person can cause several OTHER issues before they MIGHT stumble on to the actual problem. Not to meantion, you MIGHT already have a potential HAZARD with your unit.
When was the last time you had it inspected?
At least a few of the folks who post to this board are repair techs. We are savvy enough to know that giving out free advice is costing a brother heating guy his money. You're not likely to get any real answers here, except to suggest that you call at service tech.
I think I have an idea what the problem is, and it's not likely to be obvious to you at this point. Cause it's not a thermostat problem.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

When is the last time you changed your air filter? (don't say "what filter")
Also, have you closed any registers lately, that caused this condition?
Other than that... it could be several things... but you would need a trained technician to diagnose the unit properly.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Rob, If you can answer me just one, two part question, I will tell you what to look for that will solve your problem with your furnace.
The two part question is this:
Why is it you, and every single homeowner on this planet, that when walking into a room and flipping on the light switch and the light doesnt come on, why is it you replace the light bulb and not the light switch?? Why do you and every other moronic homeowner always think the problem is with the thermostat?

Fish
Becuz Bubba says it is, so it must be so. :-) He even checked (but did not replace) the thermostat wiring.
go modern, go gas, go BOOM. Old saying from the 60's?
Bob
On Mar 7, 11:33 pm, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Odds are it is not the thermostat.

Wow, what a bitter bunch. I have an answer but I'm not telling you. So why is it most of you waste your time responding to this post? Nothing better to do? Pathetic.I appreciate the couple sincere responses.

Actually we get real tired of seeing the same questions all the time from HOs that A) don't have a clue, B) cheap bastards looking to get it done for free, and C) people that are too lazy to do their own homework.
From you original post, it tells me that you have never had the system checked or serviced since it was installed. It also tells me that you don't have a clue about what your doing with it, it also tells me that you too cheap to actually call a local pro to come diagnose and repair the system *after* it has been properly cleaned, checked, and serviced. Now, tell me that I am wrong.
I did HVAC along with a lot of other things for Uncle Sam for 22 years, and I am a Master Tech that has been in business for over 10 years. Its not like I have never before seen the symptoms that you furnace has. Do I have an idea of whats wrong?? Yup, I do..... Am I going to enable somebody that I have no idea what theyr skillset is or tools, or expeirence to put themselves, their family or their home at risk??? Not in this lifetime.
you have gotten the very best advice in being told to call you local tech.
Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out
BAHAHAHA sorry ladies, I said the problem was obvious to me...not to a bunch of furnace cleaners....
BTW it was the board...like I said HAHA
Sorry kjpro but a furnace cycling on limit doesnt shut the fan down then relight...the fan continues to run....Honestly you regulars here are totally incompetent. But reading your rants and whines always brings a smile to my face :)
And bobby you sound like a nerd using your internet abbreviations....but that make sme laugh too :) HAHA or is it LMAO???? BAHAHA
-Canadian Heat
DANgER (danger< snipped-for-privacy@heat.com) wrote

Sowhat's he supposed to jumper now, Dangerous? HAHA Bwahaha rotflmao haha hehe hehoheho
--
Respectfully, Bob

No hire a dirt bag like bubbs to order it online....
HAHA
-Canadian Heat
On 10 Mar 2007 01:05:17 GMT, DANgER (danger< snipped-for-privacy@heat.com) wrote:

Poor ol Canadian Heat. Just cant seem to find a friend. Try looking under a bridge. Bubba

Don't you mean "on top of the bridge"? He LIVES under a bridge, or will be one day after the inquest....
--
Respectfully, Bob

On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 16:19:07 GMT, "Bob_Loblaw"

Actually I meant UNDER the bridge. He obviously doesnt get out too often to meet the "common folk" so Id think he'd be more at home looking for another troll under the bridge with him. Bubba
wrote: | | >No hire a dirt bag like bubbs to order it online.... | > | >HAHA | > | >-Canadian Heat | | Poor ol Canadian Heat. Just cant seem to find a friend. | Try looking under a bridge. | Bubba
Is there a connection here?
http://www.news.com.au/sundayheraldsun/story/0,,21287537-2862,00.html
"DANgER" <"danger"@heat.com wrote in message

Where's his post that says it was the board?

He NEVER posted that the fan cycles on-off-on-off, it was the burners DICKWAD!
Are you even CAPABLE of comprehending what you read, or is that the real problem, you can't READ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
What kind of furnace is it... Standing pilot, electronic ignition? Fan assist or natural draft? How do expect help???
Your problem is obvious...just tell me the model of your furnace and I will tell you what the problem is...
It has nothing to do with air flow, or fan settings...it's a faulty relay or sequencer somewhere in the system. Something is sticking closed.
-Canadian Heat