Furnace does not light main burner

I have a honeywill furnance, about 20 years old with electonic igniter. When I turn the thermostat up, the igniter works and lights the pilot light, but it does not stop sparking, as it should. The main burners do not turn on, I presume because the igniter has not stopped firing. The pilot flame is on the thermocouple as it is supposed to be. Any suggestions on what the problems is and how to fix it?
TIA Denis
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

It hasn't sensed that the pilot is lit, so continues to try to light it and doesn't turn on the main gas flow. The thermocouple is probably bad.

Your intro is ok but your conclusion doesn't follow. Try again.
OP, listen to what Paul said.
I thought thermocouples were for standing pilot furnaces. Do you mean flame sensor of some kind?
--

Christopher A. Young;
.

"CJT" < snipped-for-privacy@prodigy.net> wrote in message

It has electronic ignition and you want to change the thermocouple? You're an idiot CJT Bubba

Sounds like its broken and you need to call a tech
It is not continuing the start up sequence. Normally the flame sensor tells the control board that the pilot has lit and it opens the main gas valve. Unless you can troubleshoot further you're probably better off calling someone as most of the parts are expensive and non-returnable. You could try a little steel wool on the flame sensor.

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

When did *Honeywell* start making furances?
--
Zyp

Zyp posted for all of us...

in Honeywill ya please light this time...

Tekkie wrote:

LOL
--
Zyp