Furnace blows but does not heat (intermittent problem)

Page 4 of 6
blueman wrote: <snip>

Congratulations on a job well done.

Thanks -- you seem to be one of the few gentlemen on the alt.hvac newsgroup...
blueman posted for all of us...

My programmable thermostat had a display on it to call a 800 number. It wouldn't blow hot air from the gas roof unit.
I called the 800#. A nice tekkie came out. We went out on the roof, and he pulled a panel. He wiggled a wire, and the thing came on. He said, "There's your problem. I can't fix it, but all you need to do is stick a toothpick in there to make it move over for a tighter contact."
He also said it would be a good idea to put in a "smart valve" assembly, and showed me how to do it. A simple job of about an hour. He told me he has seen countless toothpick fixes with the homeowner paying $100 for a service call.
I inserted said toothpick after he left. Well, long story short, the toothpick is still working.
A smart valve is $100, and $400 installed. I think I will install it myself when the weather warms up a bit. Until then, it's fine.
There ARE some good hvac guys out there. Just not a lot. I think a lot of guys who flunk out of used car school become hvacs.
Steve

Yeah, right. Screw on a new gas valve and plug the wires back in. All will be well??? Good thing you know about gas pressures, temp rise and CO levels. No problem there. You're a genius. Bubba

Bubba wrote:

do it three times before he got it right. I think there are a lot of DIYers who could do better.
The guy working for SearsLoewsHomeDepot aren't professionals.

--
Fall seven times, stand up eight
--Japanese proverb
Steve Scott wrote:

This guy was an independent -- not associated with any of the big retailers.

Let me guess...you got your phone book and called around for the cheapest quote....serves you right....you'll respond and deny this, of course, but we've seen it all before...
--
Respectfully, Bob

Bob_Loblaw wrote:

wrote

Okay, I'm starting to get it now. Not only are we supposed to call in a highly experienced HVAC professional, we're supposed to shop around for the highest bidder.

No wonder the "pros" here have so much time on their hands -- they fail to understand that the combination of incompetence, rudeness, and high pricing doesn't really make for a thriving business.
It amazes me how pathetic it is that these so-called professionals feel so threatened by a couple of homeowners that they waste there supposedly rare free time ranting and raving like a bunch of elementary school kids. But then again most of them probably don't have much more than an elementary school level education...
bubba, even if he water heater had a 3" draft hood, he could still adapt it to 4" bvent. His question was if he could vent the single appliance up an interior 4" bvent. Simple.
You still havn't amswered by telling us how you would vent his appliance? Would you replace all the bvent with 3", run a 3" liner down the bvent? What would bubba do? Maybe get the customer to replace the thermostat HAHA
bubba I would run circles around you in the service dept! ;)
-Canadian Heat
-- --------------------------------- --- -- - Posted with NewsLeecher v3.7 Final Web @ http://www.newsleecher.com/?usenet ------------------- ----- ---- -- -
On 18 Jan 2007 04:54:32 GMT, DANgER ( snipped-for-privacy@heat.com) wrote:

You wouldnt last three seconds. Could he vent it that way. Sure. He could vent it with plastic flexible dryer vent if he wanted. It still wouldnt be right. What he could do and what he should do are two very different things. The way I would vent it would be to stuff your fat ass in that 4 inch b vent and light the appliance. Bubba
wrote

All you need to do is go up into the attic and inspect their work. Misaligned ducts. Untapped joints. Hot and cold air blowing out of gaps that would take a small amount of tape to seal.
Shameful. And particularly shameful when they claim to be professionals and knowing so much.
If a guy can't see there's an inch gap in a duct, and goes on with his work, he's a true idiot, an unprofessional, or someone who TRULY doesn't give a shit.
STeve
wrote

Since you apparently have nothing better to do with your life than to spend countless hours in harrassing those engaged within the hvac tirade ( whom deserve a living wage every bit as much as any other fucking joe-sixpac)......
Then suggest go step in front of the next bus or train that happens to pass by.

I asked a well-intentioned question and was attacked with profanity. I responded only by questioning their civility, maturity, and professionalism of these so-called pros.

blueman blithered for all of us...

you never do ANY research. Get back on your meds.

Blueballs, Again you are clueless as usual. We have time in here because we know how to charge enough to have a thriving business and still have lots of free time. I guess you cant figure that out so you work FOR someone and dont have any free time. So how is that burger flippin job going for you Smurf boy? Bubba

Wow. You repair furnaces for a living? You must be rich.