Furnace blows but does not heat (intermittent problem)

Page 2 of 6
snipped-for-privacy@gonefishin.net writes:

Obviously, depends on the skill of the homeowner DUH. I save thousands every year by DIY and almost never have to call in a repairman for anything -- certainly, I have never had to call a repair person in to fix my own mistakes.

I think the problem is you can't read straight... I pretty clearly stated that after cycling the power, it burns for a few minutes the first time. Then after the flame extinguishes, it enters a cycle where the flame only burns for 1-2 seconds (or less) before sputtering out.
Please let me know what your business name is so I can be sure NOT to use you on account of: 1. Your screw-the-consumer attitude ` 2. Your inability to read a clear diagnosis of the problem

Actually, even as a "non-pro" ho (as you say), I think it could make sense. Keeping the blower running probably helps disperse and dilute small concentrations of dangerous gasses that could accumulate in a fault condition...
blueman wrote:

knock yourself out wanker.

I can't think of a legit service comapny who want want YOU as their customer !!
oh wait, I guess there ARE companies who's target market are low-life scum sucking bottom feeding DIY'ers vermin have to eat too.

yeah, thats why the inducer motor is supposed to run non stop. But just imagine an application where the blower is drawing in 100% outside air. Now how smart is it? If the ignition controls are in lockout mode, how long does the blower have to run to dispell dangerous gases? a couple of years?
btw- I know what the problem is and what you as a homeowner can do to fix it. it aint the gas valve or the flame sensor. 95% of the problem is the fuckwit trying to fix things himself. The other 5% is a real problem fixable by even you errr maybe. try sharpening your touted electronic skills. moron.
snipped-for-privacy@gonefishin.net writes:

money I save.

Really? Interesting, the demographics of my neighborhood makes them all come swarming... most of them salivate when they see big expensive houses.

I dare you to tell me the name of the company you own or work for. I'm sure the owner (assuming it's not you) and/or his customers would love to see your attitude.
I bet that if you work for a large reputable company (and are not closely related to the boss), that you don't last a day once you associate your name with the attitude you express here.

Hey, if you are SO certain that I will only mess things up and create more business for low-lifes like you, then I dare you to tell me what you "think" the problem is. Then, if I am skilled enough to fix it, then I win -- if I'm not and just screw it up then you (or your business comrades) win.
Seems fair to me or are you just trying to scare people away from your "sacred" turf?

Business must be really bad if you have nothing better to do than to vent at someone who is just innocently asking for advice. I guess it must be boring waiting on the unemployment line and collecting food stamps.
BTW, are you bubba's half-witted twin brother? Sounds like you two both are swimming at the shallow end of the gene pool.
It's so pathetic when you see underemployed and underskilled "service" people so desperately defending their terrain as if they were some medieval guild. I guess being one step away from a McDonald's cashier is pretty scarey when the world starts passing you by...
blueman wrote:

no shit? what a pretentious world you live in.
usually the bigger the house, the bigger the asshole living in it.

money talks, bullshit walks. How much are you willing to lose?

scroll to the very bottom of this post for the answer

Here is free advice. Call a tech. Hmm didnt like that advice, so you get pissy.
How about this advice: tell your freezing guests you are a cheap fuck trying to save his last nickel, and they can damn well freeze.
Business is so good, I get to choose what I want to do, and for whom.
For wankers like you, I get to tell them to call somebody else.
v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v
call a tech, moron.
snipped-for-privacy@gonefishin.net writes:

Here is some advice... learn how to read and mind your manners (at least if you want to have some customers).
I said I would be happy to call a tech if it was not a DIY job. Nevertheless, still would like to know the diagnosis in advance for the following very two reasonable reasons:
1. To save tech time and money by giving them a clue to the diagnosis in advance so that they can bring the right parts and zero in on the problem
2. To avoid being "screwed" by people like you who don't seem to care at all about the customer and are more concerned about their own bottom line

... and I guess by your attitude you choose to have very few (repeat) customers. But then again, you are probably a coward -- talk tough anonymously on this newsgroup and then kiss the asses of your customers in person.

Why do you waste your time (and everyone else's on this newsgroup)? - Is your ego that low? - Are you so threatened by a homeowner with a little initiative and intelligence?
Well enough of my wasting my time reading your pathetic drivel... So welcome to my kill file and feel free to waste your unemployed free time talking to nobody while other hard-working techs actually help people and earn a good living in return... <Ploink>
posted for all of us...

most.

CJT - thanks for the positive and constructive comments. I really don't get some of the guys on alt.hvac. Not only do they have nothing productive to add, but they immediately go into "asshole" mode.
- If they don't want to help, why do they waste their time responding? - Are their egos so low and are they so threatened by an occasional DIY that they have to go into "attack" mode? - Do they truly believe that their attitude will win them loyal customers? - Are they so down-and-out that anything is better than counting the minutes until the next unemployment check arrives?
blueman wrote:

I can't explain it, but I know it's been going on for a long time. I was shocked the first time I encountered it. They seem to have lots of time on their hands for slinging insults, so I assume they're mostly disgruntled ex-techs.

Actually you got it totaly wrong... most of us are master HVAC techs, or other certified professionals, and owners with a touch of burn-out from working from can to can't every day. Cheap bastards like you get pissy when you call on Sunday afternoon to come fix you broken furnace that has been down for 2 weeks, then get pissed because you have to pay overtime. Most of us have our first 40 hours for that week in by Wednesday evening. Our regular customers know enough to call when they have a problem with their system, because they know it will be fixed right the first time. You and a lot of others come in here expecting to have us tell you whats wrong with your heating and cooling system(s), sight unseen, then step by step how to fix them. In case you haven't figured it out yet, there are places in the country where it's ILLEGAL for anybody but a licensed tech to mess with your system. There is a reason for this....it usually has to do with somebody that didn't have a clue screwing with their furnace with the resultant loss of life, limb, and/or property. Sure you *might* save a buck or 2 by DIY, but with the new equipment, and controls, if you don't have the training, its highly likely that you can cause terminal damage to the whole system. With an average cost of over $8,000 to do a simple system replacement, thats going to be a real expensive lesson.
That being said, its your life, and your money...you can do what you want.

Interesting how peope from other professions don't seem to have the same arrogance and selfishness. It's also "ILLEGAL" in many places to do your own electrical, plumbing, etc. and the ability to cause damage is at least as high but you don't see those practitioners acting like a bunch of babies.
Anyone who asks a question is somehow a "cheap bastard". Amazing that even though I specifically said that if it wasn't a DIY fix, I would be happy to call in a tech.
Another disgruntled prick to add to the kill file... "Global warming" and the warm winter here in the U.S. must mean that they all have too much time and too little money on their hands...
<ploink>

Hey, if you don't like it here, then HIT THE FUCKING ROAD.
This newsgroup doesn't exist to give you pleasure or to fulfill your wants.
Don't come in here preaching and telling us how to act.
HIT THE FUCKING ROAD, YOU CHEAP PATHETIC PISSY LITTLE HOMEMOANER.
Noon-Air wrote:

You're so busy you have hours to spend sitting here insulting others.

in demonstrably anti-social behavior.

Right, you work 40 hours out of the first 72 hours of the work week, yet still have hours of free time to spend here insulting well-intentioned homeowners. The only thing you spend 40 hours of a week on by Wednesday is surfing the Internet -- and you only do that because you have the social skills of a rat and about as much chance of landing steady customers...
wrote in message

Come on down and prove me wrong, or STFU and go away.

Heh, Blueman, you're on the right track... Perhaps not so much threatened as "taking the opportunity for subject matter bullying."
And boy do they get really pissed if someone starts making more sense than them. It's kinda cute, and pathetic all at the same time. Fascinating psychology in that ng--inmates running the asylum.
"blows but does not heat" would actually be an apt description of these less-than-helpful and more vocal miscreants in alt.hvac. In an industry with "professionals" like this, homeowners need to be more armed than ever with knowledge to help themselves.
Toodles, -- Todd H. http://www.toddh.net /

What a waste of response. If you don't want to help, then don't respond to posts. If you hate engaging with customers, then you shouldn't be in the SERVICE business.
The good service techs I know really appreciate it when a knowledgeable homeowner has done his/her homework. At a minimum it saves some diagnosis time. It also very often saves a return trip back for parts.
Engage your brain for a second and just think -- if I can diagnose the problem or at least narrow it down in advance, then the service tech may be able to actually bring the right replacement part on the first visit. This save me and the tech time and money.
Also, at least in the world I live in, there are many service people who are only too happy to swap out parts until they get it right rather than spending time on diagnostics -- whether this comes from lack of knowledge, laziness, or greed, I will leave up to you.

If you actually READ my post rather than just frothing, you would see that I SPECIFICALLY asked whether this was likely to be a DIY fix and did not claim that I would go off fixing things beyond my level of expertise.
Is business so bad for you (or is your reputation so poor) that you need to beat down customers in order to drum up some business? Again, the good service people that I know are happy to help customers help themselves because they know that at the end of the day, the best customer is an informed and satisfied one -- those are the ones that keep coming back, particularly when they need to spend big bucks on a new install...

expressed in your post.

Keep working on it.
Nice and warm here.

Warm here too -- the heater is only for a guest room and we have no guests this week...

I can see why you don't have any guests. They probably know that you do your own furnace work and they don't want to die from carbon monoxide poisoning or from a fireball explosion...

Another "brilliant" ad-hominem comment from another underemployed, disgruntled tech... If you have nothing constructive to say, then stop wasting bandwidth... Get yourself a life! <ploink!>