Furnace air ducts

I have an upflow forced air furnace to which I added a 3-ton air conditioner. The uncased A-coil sits in the plenum above the furnace. I have a question regarding airflow. Approximately 5 ½ feet above the top of the furnace is a square right angle to carry the air horizontally across the bottom of the first floor joists. Approximately 4 feet from that right angle is a second square right angle directing the air into the main duct for distribution throughout the house. My question relates to these right angles. Would it be beneficial to the airflow to change the second square right angle to a curved one? Would a curve not improve the flow? My concern stems from the fact I have 3 X 10 registers throughout the house, since originally there was no air conditioning. I have been told I should have 4 X 10 registers for the A/C. I know of no way I can make the change, therefore I?m looking to find any way I can to improve the airflow. If there is a way for me to change the registers, I?m prepared to do that. The unfinished basement portion is no problem, it?s the finished area of the house that is a concern. I?d appreciate any suggestions you might offer. Thanks.

Don

Reply to
Don Phillips

post in alt.home.repair, not here.

This is not a DIY help group

Reply to
pjm

OK, even I realize that his question should not be answered, but I get an overall sense of arrogance with some posters in this group.

Please tell what are the "qualifications" required to post in this group and were did you get your certificate that allows you to post?

Reply to
suburban_mike

Oh, well.

'Be in the trade / have background in the trade' is a good starter. Or an allied / similar-in-some-regards trade, like a sparky or a machinist, etc.

'Don't be a DIY'r or home-moaner looking for freebies / advice' is another good one.

If you're asking about my certs in particular - I think 14 years in the trade, 5 statewide Masters Licenses, having the biggest company in the industry sell a product I created and that has my name on it, and being the inventor and co-author of one of the most widely used programs in the industry, might qualify me.

Reply to
pjm

Oh - and having STARTED this group 10 years ago kind of 'gets me in', too. Having written the only FAQ this group has ever had is just kind of icing on the cake.

Reply to
pjm

I believe I'll unsubscribe now. From what I've seen so far I will not be missing much.

Reply to
Olaf

Likewise. I dont think we will be missing you either. Now dont let the door hit you in the ass on the way out. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Thank you so much for stopping by to share that with us.

We really give a shit WHAT you do.

Blow me.

Goodby.

Reply to