Fuel Oil Furnace, maintenance basics

I have a Fuel Oil Furnace heating my house.

... or NOT heating the house.

I did service/maintain a fuel oil furnace back in the 70's for several years.

I am now needing to maintain/service this fuel oil furnace, but do not remember enough to feel competent to simply "tear into" the furnace.

What I am looking for, is: a pictorial exploded view of the working parts of the furnace (electrodes, nozzle, combustion chamber, transformer, etc.) and proper positioning/settings/condition of those items ... and how to properly effect such optimum conditions.

I just don't want to create more problems than I already have.

Problem: Furnace will fire up .. flame, upon call by thermostat, however: less than a minute later the flame goes out ... and the "reset" switch pops out. Upon resetting the reset switch, the furnace will again fire up (flame ... for less than a minute) and flame will go out ...

of course ... flame goes out when fuel pump/blower stops pumping fuel into the furnace

..........I pulled the stack temperature switch from furnace; it was free of soot, looking very clean.

I flipped open the door to view the area close to the combustion chamber ... it is quite sooty.

??? What do I need to clean? How should electrodes be oriented? (an earlier furnace had pictures and spec's, but I don't have that info with this furnace) How do I properly access the area needing serviced?

Bob

Reply to
Froethleor

posted for all of us...

Stick hand in pocket and pull out wallet.

Hmm, Troll O Meter is reading very high but not YET pegged.

Reply to
Tekkie®

You need to call a licensed HVAC Contractor with techs that do a lot of service work on oil furnaces!

MESS WITH YOUR OIL FURNACE! - udarrell

Reply to
udarrell

Reply to
Steve Scott

......and now the catch-22.

Unfortunately, you cannot have one without the other and you cannot successfully condense 6-8 months trade school, and 2-3 years working with a real tech, into a on-line how to. Sorry.

-zero

Reply to
-zero

Turn the pressure of the oil up. You may need a much bigger orifice.

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

by all means, keep pushing the reset button. sometimes you have to push it 30-40 times to get the bugger lit off.

Reply to
gofish

First walk to your window. Now, "Lick it" Keep it up till your oil service man shows up. Leave plenty of room for him to work. Make sure you get the corners of the window clean too. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Oscar_Lives posted for all of us...

Heh heh heh and he's getting it now...

Reply to
Tekkie®

Oscar_Lives posted for all of us...

I would just blow a bigger orifice in there with a torch should git r done

Reply to
Tekkie®