Fridgidaire refrigerator freezer problem

-------------------------------------

I have an older model refrigerator and freezer (9 years) model FRT21NNGW2 model. The freezer is not cold and the piping is freezing up. What kind of problem could this be?

Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.hvac - 26025 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
arlene

Just how long were you expecting the refrigerator to last??

Reply to
Steve

Is there a fan inside that is blowing the cold air around? If there is and it has stopped, that could be why.

Reply to
Ken

Defrost timer, Quartz defrost heaters, Low cooling gas charge or a number of other things. Recommend that you seek service from a good appliance repair outfit.

Reply to
Don Ocean

I would put my money on the defrost elements. they are not really all that hard to put in. I am not a pro but I will tell you how I checked mine when I had the same problem. I took the cover off the back inside wall and thawed out all the ice with a hair dryer. Looked at the heater elements and knew right then they were burned out. They were blackened but the dead giveaway was the element was burned in half. They look just like light bulbs you see in the 500 watt shop lights but longer. If they look fine then start checking out the timer. Every thing is pretty much plug and play. Just unplug and remove a few bolts and then replace with a new timer or element, then plug the wires back in. If you find the defrost system is ok then it will be time to call a pro, or get a new fridge. I like to do as much repairs I can myself. Most service men charge way too much for their services. I had a water pipe bust under the house. Called a pro and asked how much to fix it. He quoted about 100 bucks. So I took a trip to the hardware store and about 15 min under the house It was as good as new and only cost me about 6 bucks. I think 40 bucks would be reasonable for their time and labor. 100.00 is just ripping people off. This sure is a greedy world we live in today.

Hope I helped.

"arlene" wrote in message news:ghNzk.689$F snipped-for-privacy@textfe.usenetserver.com...

Reply to
Nobody

Yes, any of those. Or whatever other problems. An appliance repair guy should be able to troubleshoot and determine the problem. I've fixed a couple refrigators, lately. Some things easy to fix, but this sounds a bit more challenging.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon