FREON in NYC

I had been told FREON was illegal in NYC. Now I was told it is just "being phased out"??????
Is there generally one kind used for central A/C (eg Carrier 1970)? Or do I have to wait for the snow to clear so I can open my compressor and see the markings??
                 - = - Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus, BioStrategist          http://www.panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm ---{Nothing herein constitutes advice. Everything fully disclaimed.}--- [Homeland Security means private firearms not lazy obstructive guards] [Urb sprawl confounds terror] [Phooey on GUI: Windows for subprime Bimbos]
I would gladly help home owners but there is limit to all Can I purchase gasoline and bypass gas station Can I by medicine and bypass drugstore Can I purchase meat and bypass butcher Can I purchase car/pickup and bypass dealer You see sir we all have something to complain about. AC guy need to have license to purchase Refrigerant So call Carrier they know what it takes And don't call the guy from down the street with set of gauges.

On Friday, January 24, 2014 3:10:13 AM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com wrote:

Most likely you have r-22 and r-22 is being phased out. That has mostly affected the price at this point. You need an epa certificate to buy it anywhere in the states and it's been that way a long time now.
In Miami-Dade county, you need a DERM (department of environmental resources management) permit and the EPA certificate to be able to buy refrigerants. You drive 20 minutes north, to Broward county, and you only require the EPA certificate. Burocracy...