Flow / Pressure Question

Slightly OT, not fully an HVAC question, but I know you guys have the answers! (Well, I hope so).

With relatively low pressure air (like hot air supply off a furnace) there are major drops in pressure if you turn 90 degrees, even smoothly... with every bend sucking up more of your flow.

What about with high pressures? If I have air coming out of a compressor at 80-100psi, do 90 degree bends make much of a difference in pressure? Or does the loss factor decrease as pressures are increased?

Reply to
still just me

loss factor varies as the velocity of the air squared

Reply to
Abby Normal

Not necessarily.

As the other poster indicated, flow rate is the key.

If you're really interested, Google "Reynolds number" and follow some links.

Reply to
CJT

it depends on volume of flow

Reply to