FLOOR or WALL for return vents?

Currently expanding duct work to accommodate heat pump cfm requirements. Need 2000 CFM and have the duct sized out just not sure where the return vents go. House is open concept (2000 sq/ft), each bed room has high wall mounted return vents that are buried and can't be enlarged, therefore hoping to add more return vents on main floor. Main return duct will be upgrade to accommodate total retrun air flow.
The plan is to increase the number of stud opening from 2 to 5 for an additional 600 cfm (1 stud opening 3.5"x14.5" 0cfm). My question should I just cut out floor vents or hack through the wall down through the floor to make wall returns? The floor vents would probably be easier; however I'll go the extra mile for wall vents...... less change to lose my keys.
Why did return vents move from the floor to the walls anyways?
Any advice is much appreciated.
AA-Ron
Add pictures here
✖
On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 19:45:26 -0700 (PDT), Double A-Ron

You're going about it all wrong, you need to blast a hole in the wall and run a 50 inch diameter duct through another hole you will cut through the roof. When you have that done you then must replace the thermostat with a digital one.
Add pictures here
✖
Please hire Tim Taylor to do this, and then post it on Youtube. More power!
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Thanks, but not sure what you mean. My heat loss calculation showed that other rooms only require slightly more heat/cooling but not enought to start blasting.
Just wanted to know the advantages of return vents on the walls vers on the floors.
AA
Add pictures here
✖
For heat, the returns go on the floor (drawing cold air). For AC, the vents go up top, so they can draw hot air.
Do what works for you.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus