Flooded basement and water heater

I'm desperate for help. We are in an area that got hit by devastating floods, luckily ours wasn't as bad as some, we had 3 feet of water in our basement.

So the Natural Gas guys came out today and tried to turn on the water heater and said it wasn't going to light because it had been submerged. He said to replace the gas valve (?? I think is what he said) and it has a tube at the bottom of it I know.

Does anyone know what I have to replace, is this something my hubby can do? The water heater is 1 year old. :( this has been a very sad and trying time for everyone around here, and of course insurance doesn't cover floods.

Also, the guy pretty much said the same thing about our furnace too, but he did say we'd have to get a hvac guy/girl out here to check it over. The furnace is only about 2 years old, very expensive, top of the line. :( Sooo sad and just devastating but I know it could've been so much worse than it was so I guess I'm thankful at the same time.

I would truly appreciate any help I could get with this water heater issue, and any other advice you all might have, and thank you ahead of time - this is the first time I'm posting on google so I'm not even sure how I'll find any responses?? I'll figure it out I'm sure. Happy Father's Day to all the dads and moms that are dads out there! :)

Christine

Reply to
greenbaypack66

He shouldn't have tried to light it back up! It has to be replaced per manufacture's instructions!

Reply to
KJPRO

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in news:dbb3ea2e-3ec0-4cb0-a48a- snipped-for-privacy@t54g2000hsg.googlegroups.com:

Christine;

You should use a registered gas fitter for anything to do with gas lines - most plumbers are also gas fitters so try heating companies and plumbing companies.

There will be a lot of "what to do after a flood" brochures coming out in your area and you should get one and follow the advice if there are things specific to your area. Google will find a lot of such info. I did a search using 'flood cleanup' and got many hits. Among them was this site;

It has some encouraging news for you such as references that disaster assitance may help you out.

Reinhard

Reply to
Reno