Flame sensor - please help

I have a Carrier 58MCA that is not working. I replaced the flame sensor last December and it was fine all winter. Now it's cold again and I have no heat. The board again flashes 34 after it lights the burners for about 10 seconds. I checked the flame sensor and getting a dead .000 reading on DCmv between the hot end of the sensor and the ground end where the installation screw goes. Here are my questions:
1.) Why am I going through flame sensors?
2.)How can I bypass the sensor to get a little heat in the house over the weekend? I will stay with the furnace while it's running to avoid catastrophe 8)
3.) Is a $25 aftermarket replacement equivalent to the $65 Carrier replacement?
4.) Anyone need cold beer? You could store it here for a few hours til I get this worked out.
Thank you very much for your help.
Blue wrote:

Hmmm, Did you clean it? Rub it well with emery cloth and try again.

I used some 600 grit paper on it. It doesn't "look" like a part that could malfunction really. It just looks like a straight rod soldered on to a blade. I'm not sure what's inside the ceramic though, something must generate current. Thank you Tony, I will try cleaning it more thoroughly and see if that helps.
1.) Why am I going through flame sensors?
SM: Might be some contaminant in the natural gas.
2.)How can I bypass the sensor to get a little heat in the house over the weekend? I will stay with the furnace while it's running to avoid catastrophe 8)
SM: I've done that, but for liability reasons, I'm not going to tell how.
3.) Is a $25 aftermarket replacement equivalent to the $65 Carrier replacement?
SM: I doubt it.
4.) Anyone need cold beer? You could store it here for a few hours til I get this worked out.
SM: That's a kind offer. Make mine diet Coke.
Thank you very much for your help.
Thank you SM. I failed to mention that the furnace was converted to LP when installed. I can understand your reasoning on #2, people in our society are always looking for someone else to blame for their mistakes and shortcomings. Diet Coke it is!

The one time I bypassed all the safety equipment, was an evening when I needed a part that I didn't have, and the stores were closed. The house was cold, so I changed a few things, to be able to put some heat into the house. Not proud of doing something that dangerous, but it was cold. Sigh.
Thanks for the diet Coke. Here's best wishes, that your flame sensor starts working again.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Incorrect adjustments after the conversion may be causing the flame not to be properly contacting the sensor. Either orifice size or air adjustment could be out of whack. Someone with direct experience with that sensor system needs to check it out.
Also, one delivery of dirty LP can mess you up for a long time!
gerry
--

Personal home page - http://gogood.com