first time home owner electirc base heat no ac or heat pump what to do?

I just purchased a 1700 square foot rancer one floor with partial finished basement. the house has complete southern exposure to the sun tall trees and shade in the front. there is base board electric heat in all rooms and window ac units. there is also a wood burning stove (not a fire place) in the basement. 13 windows in all on the first floor. i am replacing them all with efficient windows. the house is located in elkton maryland. it is a water based community with fair temps year round lowest it gets in winter is mid to upper 20s occassianlly and highest is 90s occassionally. humidity is ungodly high in the summer and ungodly dry in the winter.

I do not know much about heat pumps and i need advise on what to get i.e. name brand should i use the base board heat along with the heat pump or tie in the wood stove to heat the house? is it better to go with elec gas or oil with the cost of petrol being what is it and will be in the future is elec more cost effective?

help please and if you guys know of a GOOD RELIABLE HONEST hvac installer in the region i live that would be great.

thanks RyanTerry

Reply to
ryanterry

the house is

Perfect conditions for a HP.

On that is sized, installed and setup to operate within the manufactures specifications.

Means very little... concern yourself with finding a contractor that is concerned with your personal comfort. Then purchase the brand he sells, installs & services.

It depends on the untility costs for your area.

Reply to
<kjpro

Do you have any dock space available?

Reply to
daytona°

mehvac.com City Multi PUMY heatpump... the "S" series. A single outdoor unit w/up to 8 indoor units.

48000 Btuh inverter driven heatpump w/up to 5 tons connected capacity indoors. Even has a dehumidify mode on some units. This technology is where the hvac industry is headed in the states. It&#39;s all over the Caribbean, has been in Europe for 15 yrs & the Far East for over 25 yrs.

It won&#39;t be the least expensive option, but it will save on the installation cost of a new ducted system, & it&#39;s damn energy efficient! Keep the electric baseboard for redundancy, or emergency back up.

I&#39;d keep the wood burner as well, trees are really cheap... once you buy the Husqvarna & the gas can & the gas & oil & the truck & the safety gear, & the cool jacket, & the... well maybe I&#39;d sell it on e-bay.

good luck geothermaljones st.paul,mn.

Reply to
geothermaljones

thank you all for your input. i have a hard time though understanding how you can go with a no name company for a product. I.E. "go with what the installer sells" i am just used to the old saying you get what you pay for.

does that not matter with heat pumps?

Reply to
ryanterry

Look, each and every HVAC system is specifically designed for your home by YOUR contractor. HE is the manufacture of your system... he purchases equipment, parts and supplies to manufacture your system ON SITE. This makes each and every system different from one another.

The quality comes from your installer. Get a good installer... you&#39;ll end up with a quality system that will provide you with comfort, reliability and savings. Get a crapping installer... you&#39;ll end up with the biggest piece of shit you could&#39;ve ever found. One that will compromise your comfort, cause you aggravation in breakdowns and cost you more money in the long run with high operational cost and service repairs.

It&#39;s really the job of your installer to make sure your needs and comfort is not compromised. How can he maintain a high level of comfort and savings? By asking you questions, gathering information and designing a system that will meet or exceed your expectations.

So what brand do you want? The one that is designed for you and your home. So which brand is that? The one that THE BEST installer designs for you. Which brand? The one he is most comfortable with. The one he will install, setup and tune to operate within the manufactures specifications. One that he knows how to service and can obtain parts in a timely manner. One which he probably stocks parts for, as this is his preferred equipment line. The brand in which he receives the best tech support and service from his distributor.

So you tell me, which brand do you want? The one that is designed properly or the one that has the most ad space on TV, Radio and newsprint?

I know which one I would choose. Whatever the BEST HVAC technician quoted you in your proposal.

Reply to
<kjpro

Im sorry i apparently stuck a nerve with you. i was only asking a simple question. as i stated in my first post I know nothing about heat pumps. for all i know you buy a i dont know TRANE system that is all ready to install on your house. i had no idea that your installer puts the system together in your yard. forgive me for my ignorance.

I thought that is what this forum was for to help people who do not know. i guess i was wrong.

Reply to
ryanterry

A little bit of homework on your part would go a long way. Have you checked with folks you know who have gotten a new system installed?? Did you ask them what was involved?? how long did it take?? or any other pertinent information relating to having a new comfort system installed??

Reply to
Noon-Air

Struck a nerve? (No)

Am I trying to inform you *WHY* the brand doesn&#39;t matter? (Yes)

Do you understand this isn&#39;t *plug a play* equipment? (Not yet)

Can you see that *every home* doesn&#39;t require the same size unit? (hope so)

Do you know *who* sizes these units? (It&#39;s not the manufacture... it&#39;s your HVAC company)

Is there other aspect to this equipment that is assembled on site? (Yes) (That&#39;s part of manufacturing, by your HVAC company)

Is this equipment going to operate correctly if the installer skips, or doesn&#39;t do a required step? (Most likely)

Is it going to effect your comfort, operational cost and equipment reliability? (Sure is)

Really it comes down to this... whatever system ends up in your home, the name brand is really the same as the HVAC company that installed it. They are the ones who took parts for a system and finished the manufacturing process at your home. They are the ones that set it up. They are the ones who are going to guarantee the equipment. They are the ones that are going to guarantee your comfort. They are the ones *you* are depending on for your personal *piece of mind*.

Does the components of this system really matter to them? (Not really)

Why? (Cause if they are true professionals, they can design & install a system for you with *any* brand of equipment)

Do they stock parts for *every* brand? (Not likely)

Do they stock parts for one or two brands they sell *most of the time*? (Most likely)

Do they *prefer* a particular brand? (Most likely)

Is any of this starting to make sense? ( ____________ )

If not, I&#39;m wasting my time trying to make you understand that the equipment brand means NOTHING!!!!! And just think, I&#39;m *NOT* even trying to sell you one *single* item.

But what I am doing, is giving you very important information so that you

*can* make a wise and informed decision. *ALL FOR FREE!!!!!!!*

Wow, now there&#39;s a concept... someone helping someone else for free. Someone they know nothing about. Just trying to guide them into making a wise choice for their homes heating and cooling system.

Reply to
<kjpro

Kenny, you are seriously mis-informed, and as such, really have no business in the business. You&#39;re beginning to have as much credibility as the stormin moron.

gofish

Yeah, sorry.... like manufacture RECALLS are the normal everyday occurrence... with only certain brands!!!

BTW, just HOW many brands where marketed with the same safety issue?

Wheatherking Arcoaire Coleman Olsen Franklin Electric Hamilton Electric Johnstone Comfort Aire Heatmaster Sun Glow Sundial American Best Goettl Amana Northrup Duo-matic-Olsen Airco Liberty Keeprite Premier P.F.C. American Standard ACPO Bard Trane GMC Janitrol Century Magic Chef Sunburst & Kenmore

Yep, better not sell any of these brands as they are ALL garbage!!!!

If you actually believe your bullshit, you better hang it up yourself old timer. You&#39;re starting to lose your gasp on reality.

Reply to
<kjpro

Reply to
Tony