Filters

We are going to get a new furnace and air conditioner installed this fall and are having a diffiuclt time deciding what to do for air cleaner/filter. We currently have an electronic air cleaner that is 19 years old and the heating people say can be hooked up to the new furnace. But they tell me that these electronic filters aren't considered to be so great anymore and are advising some system that uses a 4 inch disposable filter that only needs changed once a year. The cost of the system is around $350.
I have allergies to everything. My husband smokes. So what is the best type of air cleaning system today????
Since you, an allergy sufferer married a smoker, you really need to call Dr. Laura Schlessinger, and get your life in order.
The electronic cleaner will do a better job on cigarette smoke. However, the cleaner element needs to be professionally cleaned a couple times a year. When I worked for Sears, we used hot water and powder dishwashing machine detergent.
I've found that refrigeration coil cleaner removes nicotine film from AC coils.
Seriously, have your husband smoke outdoors.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

You mean the woman who posed naked for her boyfriend, who then posted the pictures on the net? Ya, she can help you make good life choices! LOL Between her and Monica Lewinski, maybe they can come up with some new and interesting games to play with those cigarettes.
--
Respectfully, Bob

On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 18:56:09 GMT, "Stormin Mormon"

Only you Stormy, would clean an electronic air filter cell with coil cleaner your fuquering idiot. Pink acid cleaner makes the cells look like hell and the self rinsing green cleaner wont remove the tar and nicotine. They make cleaner specifically for air filters. "Here's a hammer you dipshit. Go drive a screw with it" Bubba
Bubba posted for all of us... I don't top post - see either inline or at bottom.

Just because he's screwed is no reason to hammer him.
--
Tekkie

Hi SLM,
I've installed & serviced central air for over 30 years here in middle tenn, I have seen and cleaned my share of serious smoke polluted systems and my wife still smokes, I quit 8 years ago thank God.
I recently replaced my a/c system and my dealer sells the 4 inch filters either with a filter box that installs beside the furnace or a Honeywell FC40 that can be used in a regular filter grille.
Since I like a clean return pipe all the way to the unit, I installed 2 FC40's, sice I have a 5 ton unit with 2 returns, but I also know that when the filter gets dirty, air and dirt/dust/smoke can "go around" the edge of the filter and edge of the filter grille, also, inside, behind the filter, the box and the area between the joists can leak in air/dust/etc from in/under the house, so I proceeded to caulk all the seams and joints and inside, behind the edge of the filter grille, I also bought some 1/4 " foam weather stripping with one-side, peel and stick and stuck it to the edge that the filter gets pulled against when the air is on, that way "NO" dust/dirt/smoke can bypass the filter and be passed through the system.
I've also installed a UV light that has really helped with germs that people bring home from work/school/mall or where ever, but probably won't help with cig. smoke.
SLM wrote:

divorce
I use a 1" pleated filter in my home but an electronic air cleaner is good so is a 4 inch disposable filter.
I can only recommend that make sure your return air will handle what ever filter you buy.
Some filters can restrict your return air so your system does not perform like it should.
--
Moe Jones
HVAC Service Technician